Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

copy a link

Quote Reply
copy a link
Is there a limit to how many times you can copy a link?
Quote Reply
Re: [rayhne] copy a link In reply to
copy?
Quote Reply
Re: [PaulWilson] copy a link In reply to
copy a link into other categories. How many time the same link using the same id can appear in the database.

(I have some site that will appear pretty close to 100 times)
Quote Reply
Hi,

No, there is no limit.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
You are using "Alternative Categoies" option, correct? "copy" leads me to believe that you are COPYING the URL across different records in the LINKS table, which is dangerous in a Relational Database and even OBJECT-ORIENTED or FLATFILE databases.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [AnthroRules] copy a link In reply to
Actually, I haven't got Links SQL as yet (buying it this week) but am eyeballing the manual and in the manual there is a function to "copy" a link into other categories.
Quote Reply
Re: [AnthroRules] copy a link In reply to
Hi,

No, copy in Links SQL 2 simply puts another entry in the CatLinks table (LinkID, CategoryID). Data is not touched, so altering the link will update both copies.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] copy a link In reply to
Sorry, just a little confused....so I wouldn't use copy to add a link to other categories? Say I have a link under Computers and also want it to also show up under Computers/Internet, Computer/WWW, and Internet. Can I use copy for that or is it done another way?
Quote Reply
Hi,

The copy function just places a link in multiple categories. It is still the same link. If you modify one, it will modify it in both places.

If you actually want a separate copy, you need to enter it again.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] copy a link In reply to
Okay, I think I see (once I get it, I can experiment). What I want is the same link in more then once category so copy should work just fine..
Quote Reply
Okay, another question...

does Links SQL include alternate/multiple categories? How many categories can be used for one link? If you have a link with a category then 10 alt cats, will it be counted as 1 link or 11 in the grand total?