Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

add_success.html page and analytics

Quote Reply
add_success.html page and analytics
Hi, I'm trying to set goals in Google Analytics to track who completed submission to my directory. The submission page URL is http://www.exmaple.com/cgi-bin/LinksSQL/add.cgi and it seems like Google Analytics has problem tracking the page. I assume probably because it is a .cgi page. Once submission is completed the same URL is used for submission success page, so I can't track this either. On top of this even if I can track it how can I distinguish between the pages when they have the same URL. Is there a way to change the URL for the submission page, and for submission success page to something that ends with HTML or HTM? Thanks, Z

Last edited by:

Andy: Sep 19, 2011, 12:46 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Z] add_success.html page and analytics In reply to
If you format your submit page so it looks like the rest of your site you can put the analytics code in the footer. It will be recognised then.

Just make sure that you have <%include include_footer.html%> in the add.html template.
Quote Reply
Re: [MJB] add_success.html page and analytics In reply to
I have no problems recognizing the submit page in Google Analytics.

The problem is in setting the goal in Google Analytics. Goal's are based on URLs. I'll try to make www.example.com/cgi-bin/LinksSQL/add.cgi work as the URL. This way I'll won't be able to distinguish in between submit and submit sucess page, but still it will be something. If this doesn't work then I'll won't be able to set a goal based on that page unless the URL can be changed to html page.
Quote Reply
I made a mistake and in the original post there is a link that is actually pointing to my website. Is there a way I can remove it?
It seems like I have no rights to edit that post anymore.
Quote Reply
Hi,

I've edited the post for you , so it doesn't have the real URL in any more Angelic

For your other question - have you tried adding a unique tracking code in your footer? The easiest way would be to add this at the top of add_success.html:

Code:
<%set is_add_success = 1 %>

...then in your include_footer.html, do something like this:

Code:
<%if is_add_success%>
... code specific to track ONLY add success pages
<%else%>
.... normal adsense tracking coded
<%endif%>

Hope that helps

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] add_success.html page and analytics In reply to
Thanks for removing the URL Andy.

I was able to make tracking work as I wanted by just adding the .cgi URL to the goal URL box.