Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Using login on static pages

Quote Reply
Using login on static pages
I am still stuck on how to get the login/logout/editors links to display properly on LSQL static pages. I understand that building html pages causes this. Someone must have figured out how to do this simply. For now I am just using dynamic pages, but I would like to use static ones. Is there a plugin I have missed? Is there a way to creativey link around this issue? I am open to all suggestions. This is really annoying and I have a hard time believing this issue has not yet been solved. I just can't find the answer. Unsure
Quote Reply
Re: [jgkiefer] Using login on static pages In reply to
Hi,

If you are using static html pages, then you can't have the links Login, Logout, or Editors be dynamic (i.e. shows up differently if you are logged in or logged out) without using some Javascript.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [jgkiefer] Using login on static pages In reply to
In addition to javascript, SSI is also a possible solution.
Could be possible to have some dynamic elements on a LSQL generated static page, using SSI.
For example, user name could be displayed on a "static" page which has dynamic SSI call.
But this would need plugin, global, or even modification (can't tell you exactly now, without looking at the code).

However I don't really suggest you, since it's almost the same as if you would use dynamic mode. Wink

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] Using login on static pages In reply to
As you said, if you are using SSI, you might as well just use page.cgi completely. With a quick rewrite rule, you can have the URL's look identical.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Using login on static pages In reply to
Almost no difference. We aggree, I think, if we look the matter generally.
Especially true when using CGI environment (starting perl probably takes more time, than the script execution itself).
But in persistent environments like mod_perl, the situation changes.

In some situations, a "static" page using SSI, will be still faster than dynamic mode.
Highly depends on what we want to display. If we display just a few things, we save the time what would be needed to generate the full page itself. Hooking the handle_login in user.cgi, would be possible to write a plugin, which does some small tasks, like printing out Login/Logout link using SSI.
IMHO.

Please correct me, if I'm wrong.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...

Last edited by:

webmaster33: Jan 20, 2003, 4:50 PM