Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

User global permission

Quote Reply
User global permission
When I install LinksSQL, the files are decompressed with 'www' permits. When I try to change the files from my FTP, I get the message 'permission denied'

How can I setup LinksSQL for after FTP modification?

Thank you,

-----------------------
Nomada

Last edited by:

Nomada: Mar 10, 2002, 9:45 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Nomada] User global permission In reply to
The best method is run install.cgi via telnet with your root account or administrative account that has FTP access, then the permissions will be that account, so you can modify files via FTP.

If you run install.cgi via a web browser, then all file perms will be set to the "nobody" account, which won't allow you to edit the files via FTP.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Heckler] User global permission In reply to
>>
If you run install.cgi via a web browser, then all file perms will be set to the "nobody" account, which won't allow you to edit the files via FTP.
<<

I do 80% of installations from the web which allow me to edit the files via ftp. The files are unpacked with the correct ftp username.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Mar 10, 2002, 11:15 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Heckler] User global permission In reply to
Thank you Eliot!!!Wink

I will prove the telnet installation, but I have other question:

The cgi directory (755) should be under the pages (777) directory?

One of the reasons for those that I have purchase LinkSQL has been for your incredible support service when I was working with Links2.

You are the most patient man, thank you again from Spain.

-----------------------
Nomada
Quote Reply
>>
The cgi directory (755) should be under the pages (777) directory?
<<

No, the cgi directory is where your cgi scripts should go which is normally a pre-created directory in your hosting account. The pages directory is for built html pages which should go outside of your cgi-bin to prevent errors.
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] User global permission In reply to
Hi RedRum!

I have a unix virtual server, shared with other users...

This server doesn't have cgi-bin directory because any directory can work with cgi programs.

I have post this question because when I have installed the program and I have try to navigate the categories, when I have tried to use some options (cgi) as 'review-it' or 'rate-it' I have checked that the link was bad path and are pointed toward the pages directory:

pages/cgi_directory/reviewit.cgi

instead of pointing toward the directory cgi-bin:

/cgi_directory/reviewit.cgi

I have access in the admin 'path config' and I have changed the path of the pages directory (777). Then the connections pointed correctly, but they continue there being problems... I know that is an error in the Spanish version of LiksSQL

-----------------------
Nomada
Quote Reply
Good for you...and that doesn't work all the time, buddy, thus that is why I recommended using telnet to preserve correct username ownership.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
>>
I have checked that the link was bad path and are pointed toward the pages directory:

pages/cgi_directory/reviewit.cgi

instead of pointing toward the directory cgi-bin:

/cgi_directory/reviewit.cgi
<<

The paths are set during the setup process. Perhaps you made a mistake or are you certain you entered them correctly?

Last edited by:

RedRum: Mar 10, 2002, 1:59 PM
Quote Reply
RedRum:

I have delete and reinstall LinksSQL and the path are good. But when I try to add an category from 'Database' admin option I get this error:

Code:

GT::SQL (14497): File '/opt2/home3/hhh/public_html/prcgi/admin/defs/lsql_Categoria.def' does not exist or the permissions are set incorrectly at /opt2/home3/hhh/public_html/prcgi/admin/GT/SQL/Admin.pm line 115.

And when I replace the file '/opt2/home3/hhh/public_html/prcgi/admin/defs/lsql_Category.def' with lsql_Categoria.def works fine, but this is not a solution.

I know the problem is at the spanish version admin templates perhaps in db_nav.html

-----------------------
Nomada
Quote Reply
Hi,

Im afraid I'll have to leave this to Alex. I don't have any experience with the Spanish version.
Quote Reply
I confirm it:

The bug are at db_nav.html
Code:
&nbsp;<select size="1" name="db">
<option>Categorias</option>
<option>Links</option>
<option>Usuarios</option>
<option>Comentarios</option>
</select><br>

Can be replaced with:

Code:
&nbsp;<select size="1" name="db">
<option>Category</option>
<option>Links</option>
<option>Users</option>
<option>Reviews</option>
</select><br>

;-)

One more question: how can I get a password to 'Licensed area' access? I have an reg. number not a password.

Thanks again RedRum!

-----------------------
Nomada
Quote Reply
Hi you'll need to contact GT to get your password. Try the following form:

http://gossamer-threads.com/support/index.htm