Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Software error: Cannot add node

Quote Reply
Software error: Cannot add node
When I go into the Browse section of Admin, I get the following error in a pop up window:

Software error: Cannot add node Colleges because node with id 4 does not exist.

Colleges is a subcategory of Education (id4), which does exist in the browser.

I have tried re-building table and search.

Does anyone know why this happens, and how I can fix it?

ThanksUnsure

Last edited by:

sooke: Apr 2, 2002, 9:57 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [sooke] Software error: Cannot add node In reply to
Hi,

Sounds like your category table is messed up. Have you edited it outside of Links SQL (imported directly, or edited via MySQLMan)?

Send a message to support-lsql@gossamer-threads.com with access info and we'll take a look.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Software error: Cannot add node In reply to
Has this problem been solved yet?

I also began getting this error on all the subcategories under my "Digital Imaging/Medical Digital Imaging Systems/" subcategory.

When I looked in lsql_category, I found that the Full_Name field for each had "Digital Imaging/Designing and Using Medical Digital Imaging /" instead. The trailing space threw me until I remembered that when I originally had tried to add the subcategory name it was "Designing and Using Medical Digital Imaging Systems" and the title had been truncated upon submission (not sure why?).

Anyway, now if I change the title of the subcat back to "Designing and Using Medical Digital Imaging " from "Medical Digital Imaging Systems" using LinksSQL admin, the error dialogs obviously go away. However, if I then attempt to change the category title to a THIRD string (like "Temp"), the Full_Name field remains locked on "Designing and Using Medical Digital Imaging ".

I could obviously just edit the table directly and (hopefully) fix the problem (that would be no big deal); however, I don't mind trying any other fixes you might have if it helps troubleshoot the cause or resolution of the problem.
Quote Reply
Re: [knjones] Software error: Cannot add node In reply to
Hi,

It's because of the space definately. We'll take a look into this, but for now, if you run:

UPDATE TABLE lsql_Category SET Full_Name = REPLACE(Full_Name, 'Designing and Using Medical Digital Imaging ', 'Designing and Using Medical Digital Imaging') WHERE Full_Name LIKE 'Designing and Using Medical Digital Imaging ';

It will fix the problem.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Software error: Cannot add node In reply to
Thanks, that sql statement seems to fix some of my current probs!!Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [sooke] Software error: Cannot add node In reply to
Thanks, Alex!
Quote Reply
Re: [knjones] Software error: Cannot add node In reply to
Just for completeness for others who may experience the same problem, the actual query I used was:

UPDATE lsql_category SET Full_Name = REPLACE(Full_Name, 'Designing and Using Medical Digital Imaging ', 'Medical Digital Imaging Systems and Processes');

Thereby, I changed the defective name of the category (with the trailing space) to the current name of the category.