Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Upgrading question (2.04)

Quote Reply
Upgrading question (2.04)
I'm finally getting around to upgrading from 1.11 (with the 1.13 updates) to 2.04. I copied all of the files and db tables to another account, both to keep it separate from my production installation and because I probably don't have enough disk space left to run simultaneous installations...

Anyway, everything looks to be running fine with the 1.11 "mirror" on the new setup, after changing the necessary paths and database info. However, when running install.cgi for the 2.04 upgrade, as outlined in the README file, I get pages and pages of errors saying the fileman images cannot be extracted because the /images directory cannot be made. The directory the upgrade is being installed into has been chmod 777. Shouldn't the install script create any necessary subdirectories with proper permissions from there? If not, that would require the person doing the installing to somehow know what directories to add beforehand, which wouldn't make much sense.

Also, the final error I get is:
In Reply To:
Could not load old config file /admin/Links/ConfigData.pm; Reason: No such file or directory at install.cgi line 6192.
As far as I can tell, there was no ConfigData.pm file in 1.11, not anything remotely close to it in name... Does this mean that the 2.04 upgrade/install directions need an intermediate upgrade from 1.x versions? I wouldn't think so based on the following lines from the UPGRADE file (seems to imply there is such a thing as a 1.x to 2.04 upgrade), but I'm not so sure:
In Reply To:
2. Links SQL 2 uses the same table names as Links SQL 1, so if you
want to install Links SQL 2 in the same database as Links SQL 1,
you MUST USE A TABLE PREFIX. This will prefix all your tables
so they don't conflict with Links SQL 1.
3. If you are running under mod_perl, you can NOT run Links
SQL 1.x and Links SQL 2 under the same mod_perl server!
Thanks,
Dan

Quote Reply
Re: Upgrading question (2.04) In reply to
Hi,

I've upgraded multiple sites, and will probably tackle my last 1.13 site this weekend.

In moving/copying the files, you changed all the user permissions.

If you are installing 2.04 on a "test" system, or mirror, that is not live, the easiest thing to do is first make sure your 1.13 is really running, _then_

chmod -R 777 /path/to/Links/user_cgi/directory
chmod -R 777 /path/to/Links/build/root/directory
chmod -R 777 /path/to/Links/image/root/directory (if different from build root).

Then try the install.

If the install works, it's all permissions.

You can then go backwards, and "lock" up the directories as you need to.

If you have super user "root" access to the server, rather than cmodding all the files, you can just change the owner/group to something your telnet account can access.

Often, there is a mix of "nobody" (server created) and "you" (your user ID) accounts on the server.

I've hit that problem, and have just sort taken to

chown -R pugdog
chgrp -R server_group

all the directories, then setting the templates, backup, root and build directories to 774 (or 775) (directories need the execute bit, 1, set, files don't unless they are going to be excuted like .cgi or .pl files).

That way the world can read the files, and the server, as member of the group can write to them, but I am owner, so I can make changes from telnet.

Of course, this is under Unix :)

You can directly upgrade from 1.x to 2.04, it really sounds like permissions problems, more than anything.

PUGDOGŪ Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ:http://LinkSQL.com/FAQ
Forum:http://LinkSQL.com/forum
Quote Reply
Thanks for the reply, I'll give those suggestions a try. I thought gzip'ing the original files that unpacking them on the new account would preserve file permissions?

Any thoughts on the missing ConfigData.pm file? Does that get created by 2.x at some stage of the upgrade script?

Where does the image directory come into play? I don't recall 1.x using that.

For what it's worth, the mirror 1.1x install was running... until I started the upgrade process and it broke down in places.

Thanks,
Dan

Quote Reply
The ConfigData.pm file is a new file. It holds all the configuration stuff that was originally in the Links.pm file, and more. It's where all the parameters from the setup screens are stored.

The HTML_Templates.pm file has now been broken up into SiteHTML.pm which holds the actual print and display routines, and the globals.txt files which holds the template globals (as opposed to system globals).

Links.pm is now a central spot for the key routines to be called from, it's not a data file.

Quote Reply
No luck. I reinstalled the 1.1x setup and ensured that it is working fine, manually set the appropriate directory/file permissions (had no effect one way or the other) in case they were not preserved, then tried the 2.04 upgrade script again and got the same errors. I still don't see how setting permissions on the original setup, which so far as I know did not include an images directory in 1.x, would have anything to do with 2.04 not being able to create the images directory...

Dan

Quote Reply
Hi Dan,

Sorry about the poor wording. To upgrade from Links SQL 1.x, or the flat file version of Links, you must do a "new install" and then go to Database->Import/Export to load your data. The "upgrade" option is only for upgrading existing 2.x installs. I'll update the UPGRADE file so it makes more sense.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Ouch... Sorry about that. I guess I assumed that was how it was being done. I sometimes read these when I'm too tired.

Yes, install Links 2.x, then do an "import" of the old data, and it all works. Once you have a 2.x installation going, then the update works pretty flawless. In fact, each release it's getting better, and soon may be even more intelligent to where module patches are applied without full upgrades.

The docs must have changed along the way, since this is how the initial upgrade to 2.0 was explained to be done, and I guess I've never changed the process.

Quote Reply
Ah, that makes me feel a bit better. That's what I get for trying to follow instructions. :) I'll give it a try and see if I have better luck this time.

Thanks,
Dan