Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Pop - Cool Bug ?

Quote Reply
Pop - Cool Bug ?
I think I need this spelled out loud and clear.

Does the "pop - cool" icons work on the most hits out on a link ?

I have the "build_pop_cutoff" set to 20, this makes the 20 coolest (most hit) sites appear on the cool page - I understand that....

BUT - I added 100 links so far, and I did not click any of them yet, they all have zero hits. YET 20 of my links have the "pop" icon beside them and are listed on the "cool" page.

This doesn't make any sense, is this a bug ? Shouldn't a site need atleast 1 hit to be qualified as "cool" or does the system just take the first 20 links and make them cool even if they have zero hits ?

Thanks for any reply.

Quote Reply
Re: Pop - Cool Bug ? In reply to
I assume if you are setting the "build_pop_cutoff" to 20 then you are *forcing* Links to find 20 popular links to list from the ones that are in your directory.

If they all have zero hits then it seems logical that it will take 20 of them in some sort of order (Link ID number?) since you are telling the script to list 20 of them.

This won't be a problem when you have some users clicking on your links but if it really bothers you then I guess you could set "build_pop_cutoff" to zero

Quote Reply
Re: Pop - Cool Bug ? In reply to
To set the isPopular flag Build.pm subroutine build_cool_flags selects rows from the links table that are validated ordered in descending order by hits to the limit specified by build_pop_cutoff. These rows then have isPopular set to Yes. Thus if no links have hits the first 20 by ID on your system will be set to isPopular and appear in the cool list.