Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Pop/New Links on bottom

Quote Reply
Pop/New Links on bottom
My popular and new links appear at the bottom of the category instead of at the top.

How can I change this to where the appear at the top?

Quote Reply
Re: Pop/New Links on bottom In reply to
go to admin->setup->build options ans set build_sort_order_category to isNew DESC,isPopular DESC,title

- Didi

Quote Reply
Thank you,
that worked.

Ken

Quote Reply
I am experiencing this same problem, using links sql (the new links are appearing at the end of the category pages instead of at the top) I tried to follow the instructions given above, which said:

go to admin->setup->build options ans set build_sort_order_category to isNew DESC,isPopular DESC,title

So, assuming we're talking about files, I went to my server, found admin folder, found setup folder, but had no build options file or folder at all. Searching for something similar to the above line, I found, in my admin folder, the file Links.pm, which had the line:
$LINKS{build_sort_order_category} = "isNew, isPopular,Title";

and i changed it to:
$LINKS{build_sort_order_category} = "isNew DESC,isPopular DESC,Title";

and anyway, well, it still isn't working.
any other suggestions or clarifications of previous instructions?

Quote Reply
Hi,

The solution mentioned above is for version 2, you are still using version 1. Try:

$LINKS{build_sort_order_category} = "isNew,isPopular,Title";

which is the default.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
thanks for your reply, alex.
unfortunately, we *do* have links 2.0, and what you are suggesting is how the file was originally.
i can put it back (to how it was), but that wasn't working before.
any other ideas?

Quote Reply
Hi!

If you see:

in Links.pm, then you are using Links SQL version 1.x. I'm not sure why the sort is messed up, if you submit a support request to our site and enter in your login info, someone here can take a look.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
sorry for all the confusion -- let me start over.

this is what was in links.pm to start with. it was not putting the new links at the top:

$LINKS{build_sort_order_category} = "isNew,isPopular,Title";

This is what I changed the line to, based on the solution that i found in this thread:

and it still doesn't put the new links at the top.

someone named mel over there at gossamer installed our links sql for us; it's at www.bust.com/girlweb

(at the bottom of the page it says it's built by links 2.0 but maybe it lies)

what next?

xxxooo deb

Quote Reply
Hi,

I'm not sure what could be going wrong. If you can go to our support area and fill out a support form with URL to your admin area and password, someone here can look at it in more details.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Pop/New Links on bottom In reply to
You know, here we are, a year later, and I'm still having this problem.
And now I just finally figured out why (although I don't know how to fix it).

Okay, so isNew is a character field, according to my LInks Sql 1.1 database definitions. It can be "yes" and it can be "no"

Given that "N" comes before "Y" in the alphabet, if I am sorting on the field isNew, the New links (the ones with a "Y") are going to come AFTER the old linkes (the ones with a "N").

So what I really want to do, since I want the New links to come before the old links, is to have it sort IN REVERSE ORDER on the field isNew.

Or, I have to change the format of that field somehow.

How can I do *that*?