Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Multiple Add Site Scripts

Quote Reply
Multiple Add Site Scripts
Is it possible to have multiple scripts to add sites?

I currently have the one running. What I want is an additional one that will enable them to give me more information

Quote Reply
Re: Multiple Add Site Scripts In reply to
How about ONE add.cgi script, but people could add information in multiple screens? I don't really see the purpose in having more than one add.cgi script. Multiple screens makes better sense to me...like the following:

1) Screen 1:
Title
URL
Description
Category

2) Screen2:
More Details1
More Details2
More Details3

3) Confirmation Screen

4) Submit Link

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
No. Its not a matter of just more information I need two seperate add site pages. The standard one for webmasters submitting a site. And a more detailed one for webmasters who pay for additional information to be included with their listing.

Quote Reply
Welp...you can easily do this, by creating another TABLE called Webmaster_Account and then rather than adding data to the Links table, you would add data to the Webmaster_Account.

What you should have in the Webmaster_Account table is the following:

UserID
Detail_Field1
Detail_Field2
Detail_Field3

Then you would have to create another "Status" field in the Users table that would allow people with Paid to access the second add.cgi script.

All this can be done by hacking the scripts OR writing a plug-in.

Why include a second table???

1) Better organization to view detailed acct info.
2) Easier to configure add.cgi script to add data to a second table.
3) Conserves processing time, since you loop through less data than storing all information in the Links table.

OR what you could do is the following:

1) Add some more fields to the Users table.
2) Add the extra "Status" field in the Users table.
3) Then edit the user template files to only allow people who have paid to edit those fields in the edit user info form.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
All this can be done by hacking the scripts OR writing a plug-in
Is hacking the scripts with a plug-in system arround still so smart ?

I mean when a update comes won't we have trouble ? Is it not better only use plug-ins from now on ? Maybe i am wrong but wanna get it clear...

Regards STartpoint.

Quote Reply
There are times now that plug-ins are overkill or can't quite do it. Some hacks will still be necessary.

The best way to handle this is to create a second copy of add.cgi, with all the extras you want to use with the webmasters. It would survive upgrades, because the install/update scripts wouldn't even know about it. It would just allow the extra data to be entered into the extra fields.

It's not "elegant" but it's simple, and maintainable.

PUGDOGŪ
PUGDOGŪ Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ: http://LinkSQL.com/FAQ

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
The best way to handle this is to create a second copy of add.cgi, with all the extras you want to use with the webmasters. It would survive upgrades, because the install/update scripts wouldn't even know about it. It would just allow the extra data to be entered into the extra fields.
We use CVS here, but it's not for everyone I suppose. Wink

http://www.cvshome.org/

-Steven

Quote Reply
Your idea sounds simple and easy for me to do. I copied the add.cgi and add.html and tailored them to what I needed ... but have no idea how to make it work within the program. Any suggestions?

Quote Reply
Same problem here - anyone's a solution or hint?
Thanks

Quote Reply
Up!

Anyone got a solution for this?

Thanks

Quote Reply
hola, I'm interested in splitting info subbmission. I think multiple screens are handy and explanatory... but as I'm not confident with perl/cgi it results far-reaching to me. I've watched throught Links SQL forums but found no tips...

I'm using Links SQL 2.0.3, do you know how to implement multiple screens (and confirmation screen too) when submitting a form?

Thank you in advance,

bye