Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Gossamer Links 3.0.0 Beta 1

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Gossamer Links 3.0.0 Beta 1
I think I can tell, we all welcome the beta release of Gossamer Links 3.0.0! Cool

I'm sure there will be a lot useful new features.
But I'm afraid, several of my really missed features, will still remain missing. Unimpressed

Looking for the comprehensive feature list, tomorrow.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to install GLinks v2.99 completely, as when SQL tables should be created, MySQL v4.1 is crashing for some reason. Will try again later, after computer restart...

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...

Last edited by:

webmaster33: Mar 1, 2005, 6:57 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] Gossamer Links 3.0.0 Beta 1 In reply to
Hello,

I,am testing Gossamer Links 3.0 Beta and I found some things to improve:

1. Language file from admin not loaded properly.
Example: In the browser panel, the top names LINKS_TOP and not Home.

2. Email templates are not loaded with content.
I reveive empty validation messages

3. javascript error on tools_validate.html when no links to validate.

Cheers,

Ridesworld
Quote Reply
Re: [ridesworld] Gossamer Links 3.0.0 Beta 1 In reply to
As I supposed, there are no major new features in GT::Template (based on the docs). Frown

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Installed Beta3, Looking good!
was unable to download plugins.
where do you edit the .css file?
Quote Reply
.....where to see a site in action with the new features and design ?
URL ?

Thx,

Erich
Quote Reply
Re: [erichcyber] Gossamer Links 3.0.0 Beta 1 In reply to
I can't get the html templates just plain vanilla html pages see here

http://www.mychristianweb.com/...taguide/page.cgi?d=1

What did I miss?

CCUnet
my Christian web
Quote Reply
Re: [Alba] Gossamer Links 3.0.0 Beta 1 In reply to
Likely in beta stage, we are not allowed to download plugins, to get clean beta reports.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
I reinstalled it and all hte templates etc. work now. You can see it at the link above. I haven't been able to import any links from LSQL 2. The import routine woon't accept the 2.2.1 def location as valid

CCUnet
my Christian web
Quote Reply
Quote:
1. Language file from admin not loaded properly.
Example: In the browser panel, the top names LINKS_TOP and not Home.
We're working on a fix for this.

Quote:
2. Email templates are not loaded with content.
I reveive empty validation messages
What template set are you using? Have you checked that email templates exist? You can view the email templates through the email template editor at Build => Email Templates.

Quote:
3. javascript error on tools_validate.html when no links to validate.
We'll have this fixed.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [Alba] Gossamer Links 3.0.0 Beta 1 In reply to
In Reply To:
Installed Beta3, Looking good! was unable to download plugins.
We're working on this problem.

In Reply To:
where do you edit the .css file?
The css file is located in build_root_url/static. Note that you should be editing the custom.css file for any custom changes, since the core.css file will be overwritten in upgrades.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Gossamer Links 3.0.0 Beta 1 In reply to
Hello Brewt,

What template set are you using? Have you checked that email templates exist? You can view the email templates through the email template editor at Build => Email Templates.

I have all templates properly installed.
I use the template set called 'luna'

Cheers,

Ridesworld
Quote Reply
Brewt,
Is the import from 2.2.1 functional?

CCUent
my Christian web
Quote Reply
Re: [ccunet] Gossamer Links 3.0.0 Beta 1 In reply to
Unlike the jump from 1.x to 2.x, you can go from 2.x to 3.x using the installer (ie. a new separate 3.x installation isn't required), so the import isn't required. However, for the purpose of the beta, since you shouldn't be upgrading your existing live sites, we would recommend that you make a copy of your existing installation and upgrade it if you want to test it with your working data. Unfortunately, it is somewhat complicated to make a duplicate of your install. I'll outline what needs to happen here:

1. Perform a database dump of your existing installation (eg. mysqldump).

2. If you're going to use the same database for the beta as your live install, then you need to modify your database dump to change the prefix of all the table names to something else (eg. lsql_ to glinksbeta_). If you're using a different database, then you shouldn't need to change the dump.

3. Install the same version of Links SQL (as the one you just dumped) to a different location.

4. Restore the dump you made in the first step.

5. Update your configuration or copy over your admin/Config/Data.pm and update the paths.

6. If you have customised your templates, copy them over to the new installation (and wish to test them).

7. Upgrade that installation to the Gossamer Links beta.

I would only recommend doing this if you have enough knowledge about the using mysql and such (making dumps and restoring using mysqldump, editing the dumps, etc).

Adrian

Last edited by:

brewt: Mar 3, 2005, 12:11 AM
Quote Reply
I'm a bit disappointed now, that I see the changelog for 3.0 beta Unsure
Somehow I awaited more from a new major release... When looking into a major release features, the people awaits something extra, which was not ever possible to do with an application. I miss a "big-bumm" feature from this release.

There are some nice new features, but those features were available already through plugins, like bookmarks, search logger, category directory naming, adding links into multiple categories, paging code.

• The new templates are nice, and will likely increase the LSQL sells, but this still wouldn't worth a major version increase.
  • The GT::Template changes are nice, especially the long awaited <%~tag~%> feature, <%var1.foo%> accesses tags->{var1}->{foo} feature, += or ||= operators. I like them.
  • Ah, you missed to mention the auto-update feature in changelog. This is a really nice & intuitive feature, which would make LSQL upgrades more effective!
  • The Template tutorial is really nice, that was a good idea.
  • Well, Licensing changes deserves a full major release to v3.0

However I awaited more improvements from the template system. If it would include more improvements, like ability to make sitewide changes using a backward compatible skeleton-like template system, I would be really happy.
    The "themes as a product feature" should have been implemented with the skeleton-like template system, which would make possible serious (not just xhtml+css) theme support.

I feel, the v2.5 version number would more correctly describe the number of changes done, rather than the v3.0...

Sorry, GT team, I didn't want to hurt anybody's soul, just wanted to express my sincere opinion.
    Please excuse me if I was too rough. Unsure

Best regards,
    Webmaster33

Paid Support
  • Quote Reply
    <%~tag~%> feature
    did not find any clue on this. Where can I find infos?

thnx

lepo

Lepo
    Quote Reply
    Re: [Lepo75] Gossamer Links 3.0.0 Beta 1 In reply to
    about <%~tag~%> feature here:
    http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...i?post=277856#277856

Best regards,
    Webmaster33

Paid Support
    Quote Reply
    so where does one download the beta version anyway?
    Quote Reply
    Re: [archer] Gossamer Links 3.0.0 Beta 1 In reply to
    check in the download area.
    you have access as registered user.

Best regards,
    Webmaster33

Paid Support
    Quote Reply
    url?
    Quote Reply
    Re: [archer] Gossamer Links 3.0.0 Beta 1 In reply to
    You should have got it in your registration email.
    I have no permission to post such url... Angelic

Best regards,
    Webmaster33

Paid Support
    Quote Reply
    Same problem here (empty validation mail)

John
    Quote Reply
    Re: [gotze] Gossamer Links 3.0.0 Beta 1 In reply to
    In addition, a minor bug (?): There is nowhere for the user to enter his Name.

John
    Quote Reply
    Re: [gotze] Gossamer Links 3.0.0 Beta 1 In reply to
    hmm, okay, I've reproduced the problem here, so I'll get back to you guys on a fix in a bit.

Adrian
    Quote Reply

Oh, BTW, congrats on the new version. XHTML/CSS-compliance out-of-the-box is very cool Cool

John
    Quote Reply
    The problem is that there's a bug in the code that's making it compress on emails as well. The temporary fix until you guys get the new code is to turn compress off in the admin.

Adrian
    > >