Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Detailed Pages within Detail Page

Quote Reply
Detailed Pages within Detail Page
I was wondering if there is any way, where I can have one or more detail pages within the detail page. Like for example I am working on a law directory at this time, and would like to list detailed profile of individual lawyers within each lawfirms.

Here is the example of what I am looking for http://profiles.findlaw.com/...2379&LawyerPid=1

All help is appreciated.

Vishal Thakkar
Search Engine Positioning @ http://www.toprankposition.com

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [TRPN] Detailed Pages within Detail Page In reply to
Hi,

If you didn't need the pages built, but rather displayed dynamic it could be done quite easily.

In detailed.html make it look like:

<%if MoreDetails%>
<%include detailed_more.html%>
<%else%>
<%include detailed_normal.html%>
<%endif%>

and now if you go to page.cgi?g=Detailed/123.html it will display detailed_normal.html, but go to page.cgi?g=Detailed/123.html&MoreDetails=1 and it will display detailed_more.html.

Hope that helps,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Detailed Pages within Detail Page In reply to
How would you do this with static pages, Alex?
account deleted
Quote Reply
Re: [dragonface] Detailed Pages within Detail Page In reply to
Hi,

You couldn't do it easily. However you can build all your pages, and then make your extra page be a dynamic one (your category, new, home are still static).

Same template changes would apply.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Detailed Pages within Detail Page In reply to
I've done it already - but it's really messy*. I was just wondering if you knew a way to use the innate extensiblity of lsql to do it via a plugin or something.

* I made another copy of _build_detailed, and another copy of _site_html_detailed and renamed them, changing the args.
account deleted
Quote Reply
Re: [dragonface] Detailed Pages within Detail Page In reply to
I am not understanding what is trying to be done here? Really.

Could you explain it a bit more?

This would seem you have two databases -- one for firms, and one for the lawyers??

Or are you using the User database for that?

It sounds like you would want to build twice -- once for lawyers, and once for practices.

I think Alex's suggestion of leaving the lawyers dynamic is a good one. That feature would be accessed much less frequently than the practice page, and the costs of the "jumps" would probably wash out with the costs of the xtra builds and disk space.

If you used a standard linking format, you probably could also have a program that rebuilt the pages for the lawyers on demand, and just linked to them. If they are not categorized, but just listed, it would be a much, much simpler program than the standard build, and could be set to build only the changed users pretty easily.

I'm not understanding this, I think, but I'd like to, since this is a feature that others might use in similar ways -- a set of sub pages from the main page (attachments, reviews, catalog items, etc).

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [TRPN] Detailed Pages within Detail Page In reply to
Would it be possible to have separtate categories and category templates for lawyers and law firms? Then for each law firm, designate the lawyers as "related links" and reformat the output as appropriate? It would probably be necessary to add a field to the database to link the individual lawyers back to the law firm.

--
Rob

SW Montana's Online Community
Modular Model Railroading
Quote Reply
Re: [vanderen] Detailed Pages within Detail Page In reply to
The problem with that, is then the link record would have all the fields for both lawyers and lawfirms in them, and would be bloated.... it could be done, but then the database sort of violates all sorts of "rules" for data :)

If the lawyers are kept in a separate database (or are using the Users table) then the simple external program to build those pages is over all the "best" option.

Does this logic make sense?

The idea is to maintain the integrity of the various databases, (laywers, law firms, users, etc) without creating one mass of data that is impossible to relate.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.