Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

widows servers

Quote Reply
widows servers
does links sql and links php work on a windows server

do i have to insdtall mysql and php on a windows server to work. i like to lease a windows server ... which is better

windows nt or 2000 servers

thaks
Quote Reply
Re: [theguy] windows servers In reply to
anyone. what hapened to this forum?

it's dead?
Quote Reply
Re: [theguy] widows servers In reply to
Product Requirements

Quote:

A current version of Perl 5 (version 5.004 or better),
Perl database modules: DBI and the appropriate DBD module for your database. If you have database access, these modules are almost always available.
Database Server. We recommend MySQL 3.22+ -- a lightweight, free and very fast SQL server. However for Windows users, Links SQL will run under MS SQL just fine. Links SQL has been tested on MySQL, Postgres, Oracle and MS SQL servers.
Optional: Links SQL will work under mod_perl for the best performance. However, this usually requires a dedicated server, and some co-operation from your hosting company. It's not trivial to install or set up. We can offer dedicated servers with mod_perl setup and configured.
Optional: To use the PHP front end, you must have PHP v4.02 or better with track_vars and short_open_tag turned on as well as the appropriate database support.

taken from the PRODUCT REQUIREMENTS web page, also in the main LINKS SQL product homepage, it does state for "UNIX and Windows servers".
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me

Last edited by:

Heckler: Jan 30, 2002, 10:48 AM
Quote Reply
Hi,

Yes, we have tested Links SQL extensively on a windows server using both MySQL and MS SQL. The PHP front end has only been tested on Apache for Windows, not on other web servers, but it should work.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Hi

I manage both windows and unix servers.

We have to reboot our windows server every three days(min)

due to memory leakage.

We reboot the unix servers every six months just to make sure

they really exist. :)

Dregs2
Quote Reply
Re: [dregs2] widows servers In reply to
That is because Perl/PHP does not run well in NT servers...even with SpeedyCGI and other CGI enhancement products. ASP/Cold Fusion are the best apps for Windoz, IMO.
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Heckler] widows servers In reply to
do u think windows2000 work better with perl/php

or is it the same
Quote Reply
Although perl/php don't run as efficiently as on linux it shouldn't be a big problem whichever you choose.

Php is less of a concern than perl. Perl has a bad tendency to keep processes running in memory even after the script exits which is quite annoying.
Quote Reply
PHP better, Perl no.

The better platform for PHP and Perl for that matter is either Linux and Unix running Apache.
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Heckler] widows servers In reply to
Well, SpeedyCGI doesn't run on Windows. =)

Perl for windows works just fine. We have several large sites using Gossamer Mail and Links SQL on windows servers, and they run quite smoothly.

As for webservers, I would not run Apache on windows though, only a well patched IIS for a production site.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] widows servers In reply to
Just to clarify

The windozes boxes only run native windows bits, asp etc.

The linux boxes run only native unix bits, perl etc.

( I know there are ports :) )

As others have said in this forum over the years there is a large difference

in the resources requirment of a unix server and a windows server.

A properly cofigured IIS server (patched reguarlly) will function as smoothly as an

Apache server, the benefit of a fully configuarable server like Apache is those fuctions like Alias, rewrirte, etc.

Dregs2