Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

GLinks 3.x Tutorial: Understanding the luna template set layout

Quote Reply
GLinks 3.x Tutorial: Understanding the luna template set layout
I've written a tutorial on the luna template set layout and how the sidebars and shadows are laid out. If you want to gain a better understanding of the layout so you can further customise your templates, then reading this would be a good start.

Until we get place on our site to put this, I'll be hosting this on my own site (devrandom.com):

Understanding the luna template set layout

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] GLinks 3.x Tutorial: Understanding the luna template set layout In reply to
Awesome :) But the links to the shadows and sections javascript doesn't do anything and the status bar at the bottom says "Error on page".
Quote Reply
Re: [loxly] GLinks 3.x Tutorial: Understanding the luna template set layout In reply to
What browser are you using? It seems to be working here in IE6, Opera 7.54, Firefox 1.0.2, and Safari 1.24.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [loxly] GLinks 3.x Tutorial: Understanding the luna template set layout In reply to
Looks OK on Firefox 1.02 on Mac OS X.
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] GLinks 3.x Tutorial: Understanding the luna template set layout In reply to
I could not find where #icwrapper is defined in luna_core.css.

Regards,
Peter Puglisi
www.ausfreedom.com
Ultimate Freedom is our game.
Quote Reply
Re: [rocco] GLinks 3.x Tutorial: Understanding the luna template set layout In reply to
#icwrapper isn't used in luna_core.css. It's just a div in the templates that's there to fix a rendering issue with ie5/mac.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Adrian:

That is great- thank! answers a LOT of questions!
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
What browser are you using? It seems to be working here in IE6, Opera 7.54, Firefox 1.0.2, and Safari 1.24.

I'm using IE6 and the links don't work. In Firefox they work :) I checked so I could be sure. The details box said something about line 7. Sorry I can't be more specific, my short term memory appears to be shot!
Quote Reply
Altering #wrapper in luna.css has no effect on display (IE6, Firefox, Netscape/Mozilla). I was trying to make the display 95% of page width instead of a fixed width, which is one of the things demonstrated in the examples in the css file. However, uncommenting that section doesn't alter the width at all. This can only be done if the core css file wrapper definition is changed (not just width, I tested adding a border and again it would only display if it was made in the core file, not the luna.css file).

Is this perhaps an inheritence issue? I'm not wholly familiar with advanced CSS page formatting so I'm learning new things as I go here.

Also, after I altered the core file while testing I noted that IE6 loses the ability to display in 2 columns when the page is wider (Firefox displays correctly). While I realize this may be a flaw in IE6's rendering I have to consider what people are using and most people will have that browser so its something I need to keep in mind. Is there a way to force the two column display?
Quote Reply
Re: [fantasyman] GLinks 3.x Tutorial: Understanding the luna template set layout In reply to
I just tested this again on my copy, and it seems to work here (it did however lead to another bug related to the category columns in ie though). Can you check that it is in fact loading luna.css (look at the page source and see what css file its loading). Do you have any other rules in luna.css that might be affecting it?

In Reply To:
Also, after I altered the core file while testing I noted that IE6 loses the ability to display in 2 columns when the page is wider (Firefox displays correctly).
Ahh yes, that's the bug I was talking about above. It's an easy fix. Just change (only relevant styles shown):
Code:
#category dl, #home dl {
width: 50%;
}
to
Code:
#category dl, #home dl {
width: 49%;
}

Adrian
Quote Reply
Well go figure, I changed it again and now it worked fine. Maybe the cache was being extra super stubborn or something.

Added the other change and now IE displays the columns perfectly. Thanks!
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Awesome :) But the links to the shadows and sections javascript doesn't do anything and the status bar at the bottom says "Error on page".

This is fixed I see :)

Can this thread be made a sticky? Might help avert some questions. Are you considering the recommentation to make a new forum section specifically for css and luna template related questions? Would be great not to have to sort through all the other stuff looking for css and template help.
Quote Reply
Since we're going to be pretty much using the same template set for all of our programs, we'll probably be creating a single forum for the luna template set (or maybe sub categories for program specific questions). We've got quite a few things on our plate right now, so it might take a bit to organise.

Adrian