Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Check URL first!

Quote Reply
Check URL first!
I have a lot of users adding Free hosted websites to my directory i.e http://www.lycos.com/Page ,
I want to create add URL page where user:

1- First enter his URL.
2- Add URL script will check the URL if it is Free hosted
3- List Personal Category only.
4- Otherwise, list all other category.

I hope someone can help in this.

Regards,
Quote Reply
Re: [rak] Check URL first! In reply to
If you go to Setup > User Options in the Admin, and set 'user_required' to 'Yes',
you (as the administrator) will recieve an email telling you of newly added links.

The email will contain the URL that is being added.
When you go to validate the link, if the url is a free hosting site,
you can just switch the category to the personal category.

Chris
RGB World, Inc. - Software & Web Development.
rgbworld.com
Quote Reply
Re: [rgbworld] Check URL first! In reply to
thank you Chris,

It is a good idea but I need to automate this process since I have more than 50 sites added every day.

rak

Last edited by:

rak: May 21, 2006, 5:27 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [rak] Check URL first! In reply to
Hello Rak,

How do u expect the add url script to figure out if the site is free hosting or not? in addition, there are some sites that offer free hosting, but also have paid hosting options.

In your case, why not make a note on add listing page that 'clearly' tells end users what type of listing should be submitted and what listings will not accepted. This method usually works, especially if your web site requies login.

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [SWDevil.Com] Check URL first! In reply to
In Reply To:
Hello Rak,

How do u expect the add url script to figure out if the site is free hosting or not? in addition, there are some sites that offer free hosting, but also have paid hosting options.

well I will have to list all known free hosting list in array or somthing in that script.

In Reply To:

In your case, why not make a note on add listing page that 'clearly' tells end users what type of listing should be submitted and what listings will not accepted. This method usually works, especially if your web site requies login.

i do that man, but i still get alot of websites added to any category!

thank you.