Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Upgrade / How-to Questions

Quote Reply
Upgrade / How-to Questions
Wow! Been a looooooong time since I've posted at the GT site. Good to be back.

I have LinksSQL version 1.11.

Back in the day, I setup my Links department with very badly thought-out categories. Now, I feel as though I've painted myself into a corner because I want to reduce the number of categories and the thought of doing that and moving over a thousand links one-at-a-time using the v1.11 interface makes me queasy.

Questions:
  • Will upgrading to LinkSQL version 2.2.1 be relatively painless?
  • Can I recieve the upgrade free-of-charge or do I have to pay?
  • Will creating new categories and mass moving old web and file links be difficult?
Quote Reply
Re: [DH123] Upgrade / How-to Questions In reply to
Hi,

Welcome back =) I'll try and help you with your questions;

Quote:
Will upgrading to LinkSQL version 2.2.1 be relatively painless?

I believe so (although I wasn't around pre LSQL 2.1.0). I seem to remember something about needing to upgrade from 1.x => 2.1.2 => 2.2.x. I could be wrong though (the best way, is to backup your files, and then try the upgrade. If it doesn't work, then simply restore your old database and files :)).

Quote:
Can I recieve the upgrade free-of-charge or do I have to pay?

I'm not absolutly sure on the conditions regarding LSQL 1.x .. but I believe you do get the free upgrades (you should be able to download it from the Members Area).

Quote:
Will creating new categories and mass moving old web and file links be difficult?
It really depends on the number of categories/links you are looking at reordering.

As I'm sure you're aware, Links 2.x has a script called "browser.cgi", which cleverly lets you move categories/links around with just a few clicks. Very cool Cool

Hopefully that helps, even just a little bit <G>

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Upgrade / How-to Questions In reply to
Just contacted support and I received access to the licensed users area. Thanks!

Just going over the upgrade docs now. Got my backups in order so I might as well give it a whirl.

Thanks for feedback, Andy.
Quote Reply
If you are trying to simplify your layout, I just hit an interesting article (though I can't remember where) on "7".

Seems that more than 7 categories, options, etc starts to get overwhelming.

What you do, is put all your categories on to slips of paper, and start to sort them into THREE piles. Category1, Category2 and "everything else".

When you've condensed down to those, you go through the "everything else" and make three more piles, Category3, Category4, and "Everything Else".

So now you have 5 categories.

Do the same again with "Everthing Else" and you have 6 categories + everything else.

It's an interesting simplification, and while "7" may be the target, there really isn't anything stopping you from having 9, or 10, or 11, etc. The goal is to simplify and condense, and if you can condense even a few topics, it's worth it.

Just some thoughts. (This goes back to some old "brainstorming" session tricks I remember from seminars in high school).

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Upgrade / How-to Questions In reply to
Good thoughts.
I would be interested in that article you mentioned...

What about the case if a link belongs to more categories?
Does it change the condensing process?

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Hi folks,

I'm back with a new question.

I've uploaded the new v2.2.1 files and went to the install.cgi file using my browser. Since I have v1.11 running already, I thought I would choose the "Upgrade" option. I'm getting an error saying it can't find the "Data.pm" file. From past experience, I know that file was a part of the non-SQL version of Links.

Am I correct when I assume that to install a newer version of the SQL-enabled Links, one simply does a "New Install" and that the Upgrade option is only for going from an non-SQL version to the SQL version?

???

:)

EDIT: D'oh! I just read the UPGRADE document that comes with the tar file. All answers are revealed!

I'm such a n00b!

[hangs head in shame]

Laugh

Last edited by:

DH123: Mar 27, 2005, 11:19 AM