Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Email selected links

Quote Reply
Email selected links
I want to send emails to selected links.

In the body should be the category mentioned where user can find their links.

<%Category%> and <%category%> does not work.

Is there another tag I can use?

Michael

--
Michael Skaide

http://www.cycle24.de

Quote Reply
Re: [Michael Skaide] Email selected links In reply to
Hi,

Unfortunately not. You can use <%GT::Template::dump%> to see a list of all tags available.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Email selected links In reply to
So, is there any way in which to email users about their links and specify their category?

If you love cats - visit www.TheCatSite.com

Visit my LinkSQL based Cat Site - www.Meowhoo.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Anat] Email selected links In reply to
Hello! Anyone?!?!

The category tag doesn't work for me either on any emails. The system obviously recognizes the tag, as I don't get any unknown tag messages. It simply doesn't show the value on the emails.

So, the code on the email looks like:

Category: <%Category%>

And the output on the actual email is:

Category:

This is the same line of code as in the original templates downloaded from Gosamere so I can't see where the problem can be. The only thing I can think of is: The other tags in the email (title, URL, description etc.) are actually columns in the links tables. Category is not. I have no idea how this thing actually works, but as the category is part of the email in the original Gossamer templates I'm assuming this should work somehow.

Please help! Pirate

It's the exact same problem the original poster of this thread posted about, so I guess I'm not the only one with this problem.

Quote Reply
Re: [Anat] Email selected links In reply to
Hi,

No, currently only information in the Links table is provided. I'll look into getting the Category name in there as well.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Thank you - when you do, I think what will also be useful is a tag that leads people to the URL where their listing is on the directory.

In the meantine, Laura has provided me with a solution to my problem! So, anyone who reads this thread in the future looking for the solution, please check here:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...;;page=unread#unread

Quote Reply
Gosh! I tried for hours and gave up thinking that its something that I am missing.

Oh yes, this is important tag and would be helpful.
Quote Reply
Any update on this? When mass emailing users, it would really be nice to use Links table vars: <%Title%> <%Contact_Name%> , etc...

And like Anat said:

Quote:
...and a tag that leads people to the URL where their listing is on the directory

These all would be Very nice. I feel another global coming on.

Last edited by:

Katana Man: Apr 11, 2003, 11:58 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Katana Man] Email selected links In reply to
Hi,

Yes, you'd need to make a call in the global to get->('ID'), for each of the ID's (Links) in the users record. If you wanted categories, you'd have to do another search (or do a "JOIN" in the above select) with the CatLinks table, so you know which category ID's you have. Then, pass those ID's into one of the "Get name" routines.

Not hard, and I think all the codes to do this have been posted in one of the links forums in the past 3 months, just not put together in one place.

I'd pass this information back as a formatted tag, rather than as separate tags, to prevent potential collisions in routines that may be added later.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Email selected links In reply to
Personally, I don't need to show the category, but I'd like to show tags from the Links table. Do you know what that template would look like?