Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Alt category problem

Quote Reply
Alt category problem
I thought all the times a link is entered as an alt category were counted in the final total. What I find happening is this: I enter a site 6 times using the alt cat feature. When I go to look at the site, the listing has been added 6 times to the category and to the grand total. Then I run Repair Table and it resets the numbers so the link is only counted once. Is it suppose to do this? Will I need to redo the listings and copy them into the correct categories in order to get the correct counts?

(I don't know if this has an affect but I use both the copy and alt cat features.)

Correction: It subtracts them from the category but appearently not from the grand total.

Last edited by:

rayhne: Feb 14, 2002, 11:09 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [rayhne] Alt category problem In reply to
I think I know what you are saying.

There is a problem here, but I haven't played enough to quantify it. It seems you are closer with the 'repair' trick than I am at tracking it.

The way it _should_ work, is that the "grand total" of links should be "unique" not how many times it's in in the cat_links file.

The number of links in each category should include the cat_links total, not unique links. I'm sure there are going to be people who want "unique" links totals in each parent-node.... but.... <G>

This will cause the numbers to not add up, but to a casual eye, this shouldn't be a problem. It would only be obvious on the "home" page, where you'd see "all" the potential links anyway.

The problem is that you want to know (usually) how many UNIQUE links you have, not how many links+alt_links. But, you also want to know how many links are in each category, and that is a function of both links+alt_links (or actually, not unique links, but total links).

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Alt category problem In reply to
Actually... each "parent" node should contain "Unique" links.

While the totals won't add up as on the home page, you will always see how many "unique" (ie: real) links are in each sub-category, no matter how far you go down -- even to the leaf node. A leaf node (category) can't contain the same link twice but a parent node can have a link in two or more categories at once.

I guess, I'm not really seeing a need to count "alt_links" at all.... it artificially inflates the link count, without adding any additional or valuable information to the site visitor.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Alt category problem In reply to
Thank you, Pugdog. You put things back into perspective. :)

I was worried about the difference between the grand total and the numbers after the categories on the front page. But do I even need the numbers after the categories? At least on the front page? Is there a way not to have the numbers on the first page but on the others?
Quote Reply
Re: [rayhne] Alt category problem In reply to
Okay, is there a way I can remove the numbers on the home.html page but leave them on the rest of the subcategories?