Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

creating a login page for review writers

Quote Reply
creating a login page for review writers
I'd like to create a second signup/login page for users who want to write reviews. I have lsql set up so that the standard login html page has information pertaining to creating a Link (how much it costs, what links are free, etc).

But, i'm also requiring 'reviews' writers to be registered users, they have to go to the same login page in order to become a registered user. The problem is that, once they see all of the information about creating a link, they get confused and usually don't sign up.

So I want to create a second Login page that the review.pm script will send users to if they try to add a review but they aren't regisitered.

I took a look and it seems that the user is redirected to the login page by the review.pm script, but it revfers to:

redirect(LINKS::redirect_login_url...

Where is the login_url stored? Or how do I make this change?

thanks
Quote Reply
Re: [kerbouchard2] creating a login page for review writers In reply to
sub redirect_login_url is available in Links.pm file.
You could have done a text search on your Links installation to find it.
A file manager software can do the search for you.

Also note, it is definitely not recommended to do direct changes to the core LSQL code, because you risk upgradeability of it.
You should use global or plugin for such feature extensions.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] creating a login page for review writers In reply to
Thank you for this reply webmaster33. I'm new to GT and the Links SQL program is quite big! I just wanted to make a quick mod without getting to know the code intimitely.

If there is an easy way to insert a global into the template that displays links, I would do that, but after an initial examination I could not see one? Any ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: [kerbouchard2] creating a login page for review writers In reply to
As far as I can remember from the login system you should have a 'from' variable in the URL.

So you can modify the login template with something like

<%if from eq 'Review'%>show the review stuff <%else%>show the add-a-link stuff<%endif%>

You'll need to check the URL for the exact names.
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] creating a login page for review writers In reply to
In Reply To:
As far as I can remember from the login system you should have a 'from' variable in the URL.

So you can modify the login template with something like

<%if from eq 'Review'%>show the review stuff <%else%>show the add-a-link stuff<%endif%>

You'll need to check the URL for the exact names.

Thanks that works fairly well. It seems that 'from' is getting its value from the name of the cgi script that calls teh login page, but if I paste <%from%> in the login page template to see what value it is getting, when user.cgi calls it (on the logout command) then %from% is displayed as an "unknown tag". Maybe that is a bug

Otherwise I can correctly determine when I am sending a review writer to the login page and that is my objective, but I can't determine the difference between 'Add a Listing' and 'Log In'

anybody have ideas?