Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Something to share...

Quote Reply
Something to share...
Hi

I have added a small tag to the Header section of my pages...

And Guess what google lists over 13000 pages from my site (up from 3000) and over 50% are cgi based...

The tag is:

<META NAME="robots" CONTENT="FOLLOW,INDEX">

I think some one might use this..
Regards
KaTaBd

Users plug In - Multi Search And Remote Search plug in - WebRing plug in - Muslims Directory
Quote Reply
Re: [katabd] Something to share... In reply to
Another thing

In your category.html...

useing :

<meta name="keywords" content="<%if Meta_keywords%><%Meta_keywords%><%else%><%_meta_keyword%>,<%_meta_keyword1%><%endif%>">

will save you a ton of work on keywords, and it is always within all search engine rules..:

1- where _meta_keyword is:

sub {
my $vars = shift;
my $cat = $vars->{category_name};
$cat =~ s|/|, |g;
return $cat;
}

2- and _meta_keyword1 is:

sub {
my $vars = shift;
my $categories = $vars->{category_loop};
my $cat = join(", ", map { $_->{Name} } @$categories);
return $cat;
}

Good Luck
Regards
KaTaBd

Users plug In - Multi Search And Remote Search plug in - WebRing plug in - Muslims Directory
Quote Reply
Really, the above method generates that much trafficc?
Quote Reply
Re: [xpert] Something to share... In reply to
Hi

I really do not know which part did it..

But all cgi ending url where not indexed by google nor altavista and now they are..

The search engine listing has increase that much but the traffic did not increase 10 time .. although i wish it did Wink
Regards
KaTaBd

Quote Reply
Hi katabd,

There are a few more that can also help your search engine status!

<meta name="rating" content="GENERAL">
<meta name="distribution" content="GLOBAL or REGIONAL"> "select one"
<meta name="copyright" content="copyright owner name">
<meta name="revisit-after" content="15 Days"> set this as 7-15-30-60-90
<meta http-equiv="reply-to" content="YOUR email ADDRESS.whatever">
<meta name="keywords" content="All associated keywords.">
<meta name="language" content="en-us">
<meta name="classification" content="search engine specific. You can use it or not">
<meta name="author" content="Who wrote the content">
<meta http-equiv="bulletin-text" content="All text that appears on the page">
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] Something to share... In reply to
Thanks Teambldr

Most of those tags are helpful for search engines and your site..

But keyword tag and the Robot tag seem to be the best to improve position and indexing on Altavista and Google..

(I had most of the tags you mentioned on my site for while with not much luck on those two engines..with the cgi URL's)
Regards
KaTaBd

Quote Reply
This is all pretty much basic HTML programming, ya know.

Anyway, the following web site may serve as a good reference ror META tags:

http://www.searchengines.com/
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me

Last edited by:

Stealth: Jul 28, 2002, 8:55 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] Something to share... In reply to
>>
This is all pretty much basic HTML programming, ya know.
<<

Maybe, but not everyone knows about the various meta-tags...there's nothing wrong with a helpful post or with sharing ideas.

Last edited by:

Paul: Jul 28, 2002, 9:07 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Something to share... In reply to
Welp, I was expressing my opinion and also was helpful by providing a more helpful reference, PAUL! Tongue.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] Something to share... In reply to
Stealth,

I think that there is basic HTML here as well, but...

The idea of possibly automating such HTML by creating tags, etc.. that can assist in the process is more than basic. And most people that use the foeum are looking for answers not writing them.

This happens to be one of my areas of expertise in comparrison to yours in Links, etc... Sometimes it is good to let others chat without being worried about a belittling of thier post by a forum user that has greater expertise elsewhere.

In other words, You are playing in my schoolyard now. Be cool or play elsewhere please.

Thanks!Wink
Quote Reply
Thanks for the HTML references Brian.

I have pretty much the sames ones, though it is nice to see what others are putting in their headers and see he it is working out for them.Smile

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] Something to share... In reply to
Thanks Ian!

I think that katabd is on a good path with this thread and it might lend itself to expansion into other ways to automate meta tagging in Links SQL. Which would be very helpful for all who use it.

Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Something to share... In reply to
Hi Paul

Thanks for the back up..

The idea as you said is sharing what worked for us so others might find it helpful..

and as i said:

Remember amateurs built the ark - Professionals built the Titanic.

Right Steath?
Regards
KaTaBd

Quote Reply
Hi

>>The idea of possibly automating such HTML by creating tags, etc.. >>that can assist in the process is more than basic. And most people >>that use the foeum are looking for answers not writing them.

That is what I have got . all my categories meta tags are Auto generated.

>>Sometimes it is good to let others chat without being worried about a >>belittling of thier post by a forum user that has greater expertise >>elsewhere.

Thanks..

I will add that 90% of this forum users are not professionals (like you guys) and i am one of them. And when we - sometimes - get a "short professioal answer" or a negative comment it will make us more lost... I will greatly appreciate it (and so will others) that if you do not have an ADD ON or an answer to the post in a positive way, to keep quite since we do not need to know every time we post something that you know more than we do..! Mad

Sorry but i do not mean everyone, and the help I have got for a lot of you guys is priceless and it helped me build my site on my owe although little over a year ago i had no idea about web pages or design..
Regards
KaTaBd

Last edited by:

katabd: Jul 28, 2002, 11:44 AM