Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Free Forum Integration

Quote Reply
Free Forum Integration
I'm trying to find a free forum that would be easy to integrate with LinksSQL. I've seen many different forum scripts out there but does anyone know a free forum script that has been integrated? How hard is it to integrate another scripts user database with LinksSQL?

I saw the plugin for Vbulletin but who wants to pay $200 when you can get a script almost as good for free? I did some searching but couldn't find the answer so I thought I'd ask. It would be great to have a plugin or 2 for free forums!

Thanks,

Craven
Quote Reply
Re: [craven32] Free Forum Integration In reply to
Nothing will integrate better than GForum. They use the same core library and the same template parser. They also run off the same community install.

It's not free, but it's solid.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Free Forum Integration In reply to
I'd love to buy Gforum but it's a ittle out of my price range at the current time. Plus I plan on adding more sites later on down the road and at $200 a license it's a little pricey. If it were $50 to $100 I may have considered it.

Craven
Quote Reply
if you aren't looking for lots of fancy features then it wouldn't be too hard to roll your own basic forum system using the built-in libraries.

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
I was addressing something in your original post, I think.

But, the cost of integration of a "free" forum, outweighs the ready-to-run integration of the existing forums.

Also, most "free" forums use a different approach to things, and you'd have learn a whole separate set of template tags, and such, as well as bug/mod coding styles and approaches.

Scalability is a big issue. How do you know the "free" forums will be continued to be developed? Or remain free? A new group could take over, and make future versions paid, or merge it into another product that doesn't work the way you want.

Sticking with one core set of libraries, like sticking with GT, is a good plan. In the long run, it will probably save you money, and it will certainly save you time and frustration.

Your question was specifically how to integrate with Links SQL :)

Also, eventually there will be remote log ons to community, and andy and I are working on enhancements and such for multiple/remote sites, and many of our plugins will go through community. In the long run, using 3rd party programs to save a few bucks can cost you more. If youa re using the programs because you *want* to for some reason, that is a different story (perhaps). Saving money by cutting corners always ends up costing more in the long run.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.