Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

How to take out Underscores in Cateogry Names???

Quote Reply
How to take out Underscores in Cateogry Names???
How do I go about removing the underscores, where spaces are located, in the various Category Names displayed on the category and search results pages?

For instance: Savings_&_Loan_Associations -> Savings & Loan Associations

Thanks.

mgeyman
Quote Reply
Re: [mgeyman] How to take out Underscores in Cateogry Names??? In reply to
Hello Mgeyman,

Under the GLinks plugin section, download the plugin StaticURLtr.

And within settings/edit for the plugin, use
_:-

to replace underscore with hyphen. Also, another wonderful feature of this plugin is to update capital to small letters or other way around.

P.S... big thanks to Adrian for creating this.

Hope this helps.

Vishal

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [SWDevil.Com] How to take out Underscores in Cateogry Names??? In reply to
Vishal,

OK. This works great for the static URLs, I was refering to the appearance of actual category names on the built pages themselves - inside the Templates - within the body of the pages.

Thanks.

mgeyman
Quote Reply
I had a plugin for LSQL v2.x, which would able to handle such task.
It was named as DirName Converter.
With the release of v3.x, this plugin became unusable for 3.x, so would need an upgrade.
Unfortunately as there was no interest to have the plugin upgrade, I didn't finish the upgrade.

The DirName Converter is basically an intelligent character replacer which does its job in a selected database column. It could be also used for your task, to avoid manual database manipulation.

Related threads:
  • [Plugin] DirName converter plugin released
  • DirName_converter on beta "2.99"
  • DirName Converter Update (from webmaster33)

The current situation is described in latest thread (also some screenshots included about the plugin).

Same happened with the planned International text converter plugin:
  • [Plugin] International text converter - planned

Best regards,
    Webmaster33

Paid Support
    from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
    Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
  • Quote Reply
    I'm sure it should already do this - what are you using to display the names?
    Quote Reply
    Re: [afinlr] How to take out Underscores in Cateogry Names??? In reply to
    I just re-located my site from one host provider to another and re-installed glinks 3.0.4 on the new server. On the previous server the catories seem to display properly within the templates. Again, I'm not refering to URLs but to how the category is displayed within the templates. here's an example: http://dir.ohiobiz.com/...ounselors/index.html. The category within the template is displayed as: Advertising-Agencies_&_Counselors. How do get it to display as Advertising-Agencies & Counselors??

On a separate note, I notice the Title Tags still reflect the undercores as well eventhough the URL has changed (with hyphens) after I installed the plugin.

Thanks.

mgeyman
    Quote Reply
    Very strange. I'm sure that this shouldn't happen by default so I think you must have a plugin or global doing something to the tags.
    Quote Reply
    Did you use DirName converter, StaticURLtr plugin?
    These might cause such effects if enabled.
    You should try to disable all plugins.

Best regards,
    Webmaster33

Paid Support
    from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
    Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
    Quote Reply
    This has nothing to do with the StaticURLtr plugin, but is probably an issue with your Category table itself. Take a look at your categories in the database editor, do they also contain _ in the Name as well?

Adrian
    Quote Reply
    Re: [brewt] How to take out Underscores in Cateogry Names??? In reply to
    Adrian,

Bingo! Yes, they do contain the underscore in the Database. What would be the command I would use to delete them and replace with a space?

Thanks a lot.

mgeyman
    Quote Reply
    (Backup first!)

Update Category Set Name=Replace(Name,"_"," ")

Edit: you may need prefix_Category rather than Category

Last edited by:

afinlr: Jan 5, 2006, 4:45 AM
    Quote Reply
    Interesting - After running the command you suggested I noticed the underscores are no longer reflected when I'm watching inside the admin building of the pages but they are still reflected on the actual "newly built" pages!! For example : http://dir.ohiobiz.com/Central-Ohio/Art-Galleries-and-Dealers/index.html

You'll see "Art_Galleries_&_Dealers" still reflected on the page.

Weird!

mgeyman
    Quote Reply
    I have a feeling that you might need to do the replacement on the Full_Name column as well.
    Quote Reply
    I believe that did the trick!

Thank you very much!

mgeyman