Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Glinks3 -- Upgrade Experiences And Suggestion

Quote Reply
Glinks3 -- Upgrade Experiences And Suggestion
Upgraded live site after having tested 2.99.0 beta on test install. Following are observations (which may or may not be helpful and applicable to other installations):
  • Upgrade was smooth thru the installer. No major glitches (except for one issue related to and detailed under "Unresolved Probelms")
  • luna modification pretty OK even for a CSS beginer like us. That's the fastest way to switchover ... new layouts can come later but this is more feasible than trying to make 2x templates to work with Glinks 3 Features...
  • 2X template compatibility by and large OK except for that title linked error (invalid tag) on Cool/New pages. Not a major issue as immediately changed over to modified luna after upgrading
  • Plugins used (Andy's contact page and recommendit work fine ... though the email part needed modification as due to CSS the received mails were losing all formatting.
  • Globals all work fine except for one which is detailed later.
  • Add Link/Modify Link Works fine
  • URL validation works fine during Add Link (except for one URL which has always been giving probelm and could not connect error -- right from 2X version also. This is a cnamed entry and always gives could not connect error) which is the New Addition.
  • BookMark/Newletter user interface works fine.
  • <%page_id%> is wonderful, Adds a lot of flexibility and also makes the tough balancing act between the rhs/lhs column and content area balancing pretty much easy.
  • Abandoned HTMLArea ... due to issues of Detailed Page Data with validator.w3.org ... it's going to be a painful ordeal validating each Detailed page and making it compliant but that's what separates Admins from the rest. Not too sure if we will ever include that at least in near future.
Problems Resolved:
  • Multiple GT products under mod_perl and found issues with table update from admin as long as Gcom was under mod_perl. softlinking Community GT libs to Glinks GT lib resolved the issue.
  • Updates work fine after the initial "INVALID License" glitch.
Problems Unresolved:

Post upgrade, the last_build_date global showed a date in 2004. Applying Repair DB and rebuilding corrected the same but introduced following issue:
  • The "NEW" status on Home Page is Never Displayed. The same however is fine on Category, Detailed And Cool pages.
  • latest_n by category global which worked fine (intended to display Latest N listings Category Downwards when called on category.html) in 2X breaks in Glinks 3. It just displays "In Category" and not "Category Downwards"
Tried this twice and it happened both the times with repair DB doing corrections on Two categories both the time.. The above as noted by Adrian is due to wrong Category Tree ... perhaps due to a bug in the Import ... which shall be fixed and hope it fixes this issue on the live installation also.

Still To Test:

All Mailing related issues.

Suggestions:
  • A separate installation location for GT libs thru the installer with each product installer also asking for the path to GT libs (if installing a second product) or setting it up if installing the "First" GT product, and doing a ln -s thru the installation process. This would make maint so very easy. Currently if it is doen manually, i am not sure how installer would behave upon upgrades to ln -s .../.../.../GT GT thing.
  • A complete rethinking on the way the "Review" system currently works. it is open to gross abuse in certain setup config (ie Admin sets it to Auth Not Needed to Submit reviews)
  • GT gets a core team of beta testers picked up from their client list (not that i am hinting that we are prepared to be doing beta testing ... we already have been doing it anyway)
  • Include Ready To Use Globals as picked up from the threads which almost get lost into oblivion on the forums... it's always not easy to search.
  • Remove plugins from the Plugins Download Area which have become reduntant in view of feature sets introduced in Glinks 3
  • MTA less communication between Admin and End User. Though this has been rejected but still suggesting this.
  • Ability for the users to update passwords, though this could become reduntant with community route.
  • Remote Search is again a thing which is half complete ... so a completed XML Search .... not just the ability to pass in XML=1 to query.
Hey this has already become a long post.
Shall add on whatever comes to mind ... not throwing in my towel as yet Sly

All in all ... Good Job Done ...

[EDIT]
Ignore the typos ... there could be many
[EDIT]

Thanks
HyTC
==================================
Mail Me If Contacting Privately Is That Necessary.

Last edited by:

HyperTherm: Mar 31, 2005, 10:40 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [HyperTherm] Glinks3 -- Upgrade Experiences And Suggestion In reply to
We appreciate the testing that everyone's done. We've spent a lot of time on Gossamer Links 3.0 and want to release it with as few bugs as possible (but then we must remember that no software is without bugs).

In Reply To:
2X template compatibility by and large OK except for that title linked error (invalid tag) on Cool/New pages. Not a major issue as immediately changed over to modified luna after upgrading
I just tried it on my installation (glinks 2.99.1 with Links SQL 2.2.1 templates) and both main_title_linked and title_linked tags seem to work fine. Are those the tags you're talking about?

In Reply To:
Abandoned HTMLArea ... due to issues of Detailed Page Data with validator.w3.org ...
We'll be rewriting our html editor yet again and hopefully it will be useable in GLinks as well.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Glinks3 -- Upgrade Experiences And Suggestion In reply to
Yes those are the tags which were giving erros but not an issue as i have switched to modified luna (i have pm'd the url to you with 2x error on NEW just for academic interest ... with your access to Admin still there)

Good to know that Glinks would be having HTML Editor support. While at it, then kindly keep following in view:

Additional Text Areas could be added by Admins. So there should be possibility of Admins being able to define whether or not those TA's should have the GT's upcoming HTML Editor support or not besides the default Description TA.

Will the import bug fix sort out my problem of Category tree? I have already migrated the live install to Glinks 3.

Thanks

Thanks
HyTC
Quote Reply
It was never just <%title_linked%>, it's always been <%main_title_linked%>

In Reply To:
Will the import bug fix sort out my problem of Category tree? I have already migrated the live install to Glinks 3.
Jason's been working on it. As we have mentioned previously, the beta and rc releases should not be used on live sites.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Oh 2x is history for me now so as i already mentioned no issues.
Quote:
Jason's been working on it. As we have mentioned previously, the beta and rc releases should not be used on live sites.
Burnt fingers already ... Hope the fix works out as a good anti inflammatory med :)

Thanks

Thanks
HyTC
Quote Reply
Hi,

will there be a HTML editor for the detailed-pages ?
Please explain where this HTML-editor comes into action......sounds great.

Actually it would be great to have a HTML-editor for the detailed pages, so that the link-owners (my customers) are able to customize "their" detailed-page by themselves in am easy way.......

thanks,

Erich
Quote Reply
Re: [erichcyber] Glinks3 -- Upgrade Experiences And Suggestion In reply to
It won't be anything integrated into Gossamer Links, but as something people can add in themselves.

Adrian
Quote Reply
I just found on the test install:

Category_tree table has data in it and the "NEW" status on home Page is displayed the lates_n_by_category global does work there also. On Live install the table is empty. Do you have any workaround suggestions for me ... as between test and live installations, no links data has been added and there has not been any changes to the directory structure as such.

Thanks

Thanks
HyTC

Last edited by:

HyperTherm: Mar 31, 2005, 3:33 PM
Quote Reply
Hmm ... i couldn't resist so took a backup of live install db and then imported the Category_tree data from the test install to the live install and following things have happened:

The latest_n_by_category global worked now.

However, The NEW status on Home Page is still not displayed...

[EDIT]
Oops posted too soon....
Everything works now :=)
so the tow pending problems resolved :-)
[EDIT]

Any suggestions
Thanks

Thanks
HyTC

Last edited by:

HyperTherm: Mar 31, 2005, 3:50 PM
Quote Reply
There are few additional findings though:

On test install, the NEW Links (NEW Template) does not display all the new links. It always displays just ONE link even if the cut off is set to 100 days.

After importing the category tree data, Few Links are not displayed in that latest_n_by_category global.... Anyway, i have the pre upgrade data backup so should be an issue when the fixed importer is released... there looks to be few problems when viewed under a microscope ...

For example : at table one data has IsNew Yes but is not displayed on the New Listings page (New Template)...

Thanks

Thanks
HyTC

Last edited by:

HyperTherm: Mar 31, 2005, 4:34 PM
Quote Reply
Links only get marked as new when nph-build.cgi --flags is run.

Adrian
Quote Reply
ok fixed.

Thanks

Thanks
HyTC
Quote Reply
Hi

I have Updated with this:

Rebuild Gossamer Links Category Tree Now is it advised to re-run that since there were issues with my Category Tree due to import bug? Backup advised before running that?

Thanks

Thanks
HyTC
Quote Reply
Rebuilding the Category tree only affects the CatRoot and CatDepth columns as well as the Category_tree table, so it shouldn't touch any other data. However, due to the way other components work with those columns, rebuilding the tree may not solve your problems after changes have been made to the tables. The proper time to rebuild the category tree is right after any sort of import.

Adrian
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
It won't be anything integrated into Gossamer Links, but as something people can add in themselves.

Adrian
Could you say some more about this?

CCUnet
my Christian web
Quote Reply
Re: [ccunet] Glinks3 -- Upgrade Experiences And Suggestion In reply to
The html editor you've seen in Gossamer Mail and Gossamer Forum is in the process of being rewritten and we hope to make it work as a standalone editor like htmlArea and such. This way, it can be used in Gossamer Links (or any other form).

Adrian
Quote Reply
Would it be an "Intersection" or a "Union" of the two? Currently both have different features, the one on forum being more feature loaded.

Thanks
HyTC