Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Tracking total hits?

Quote Reply
Tracking total hits?
I use a global to display the total hits out my site has (I call it in a cgi page my users don't see). I was wondering if it would be possible to create a new table in the database, and write a short file that can write totalhits and current date/time to the database (the file would be run daily via cron).

If someone can point me in the right direction how to get started it would be appreciated. I guess I'm looking for a very basic daily stats solution.
Quote Reply
Re: [aus_dave] Tracking total hits? In reply to
Hi,

sorry I am not really sure what your point is...

can you please be a bit more specific. Do you want to track the hits to your page?

Regards

Niko
Quote Reply
Re: [aus_dave] Tracking total hits? In reply to
(Or you could just buy my ExtraStats plugin and get some more detailed stats).

You need to create the table in mysqlman, add a def file to the defs directory (just copy one of the other def files) then resync the table. You can do this by taking the url from the properties page in admin->database for one of the other tables (right click and choose properties when you're on the properties page) and replacing the table name with your new table. This should give you the properties page for the new table but with the wrong column names. If you press 'resync' you should then get the correct column names.

LinksSQL should now recognise your new table so you can write your script to insert the value from your global into the table.

Hope that helps.
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] Tracking total hits? In reply to
Thanks Laura. For the time and effort this will involve for me, your plugin is probably better value.

I will have a more detailed look at it :).