Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Moving .cgi and .php, and admin directory to another?

Quote Reply
Moving .cgi and .php, and admin directory to another?
Now that it's installed I had to install all .cgi files into my main directory because of the way my suse 10.0 server is setup.

It's setup like

/home/username/cgi-bin < this is where your supposed to put your .cgi files, but when I initially put install.cgi and install.dat and chmoded them correctly, it didnt work, I had to put them in the root directory, and then they installed after fiddling with my servers control panel to allow .cgi files to run in public_html directory.
/home/username/public_html/cgi-bin <this is supposed to pull the .cgi files out of the above line
/home/username/public_html/ < This is where pages should be built

Is it as simple as just moving the .cgi files and .php files and the admin directory to a new directory then go into urls paths in the control panel setup?

Is there a danger of leaving them in the root directory of my webserver as long as I password protect the admin directory?

I run a virtual hosting company, so all hosts use the same ip and are named based.

Apparently somethings screwed up on my server, and has a line like

/cgi-bin/ /home/username/public_html/cgi-bin/ in the vhosts .conf file and it messes up that I can't seem to use the cgi-bin directory.

Also while Im here, installing plugins, when I installed it the first time, I put all the .cgi files and admin directory in my public_html/cgi-bin directory and they worked, but the first plugin I tried to install and the server gave an error, I dont know if it was because the cgi-bin directory or admin directory were password protected or not. What Im thinking to do is rename admin directory to some obscure non dictionary letters and numbers and hopefully be able to change it in the urls paths in the control panel for glinks 3.0.4

Any help appreciated.

Last edited by:

aph: Jan 3, 2006, 2:15 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [aph] Moving .cgi and .php, and admin directory to another? In reply to
Quote:
Is it as simple as just moving the .cgi files and .php files and the admin directory to a new directory then go into urls paths in the control panel setup?
You also need to update the admin path in all .cgi and .pl files. You can also do this by just re-running the installer and choosing upgrade.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Moving .cgi and .php, and admin directory to another? In reply to
Thanks, I may just repassword protect it, since the plugin problem doesnt really bother me since Im broke, theres few that I can afford, Im saving up for the upload file plugin if it does what I need with 3.04, like force a payment if an upload occurs.

To upgrade do I just reupload the install.cgi or both install.cgi and install.dat? I suppose both.
Quote Reply
Re: [aph] Moving .cgi and .php, and admin directory to another? In reply to
You'll need both to install/upgrade.

Adrian