Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Adding sponsored heading to category and/or sub categories.

Quote Reply
Adding sponsored heading to category and/or sub categories.
hi there. Can I do this through Links SQL or will I need to use some ad serving software to do the following:

On a category section it appears on a line the following (this is an example)

Home: Arts and Entertainment : Film : Cinema

now of course, all the listings below are Cinema related. but above them on the line

Home: Arts and Entertainment : Film : Cinema

I would like to have some more words appear such as See a movie for $5 this would appear on the same line but after the word Cinema. This would then be a text link which is sponsored. Some categories would have similar text links appearing, others would not. I want to be able to have them across the whole site.

So the question.. How best to do it?

thanks!

Leslie
Quote Reply
Re: [bunder] Adding sponsored heading to category and/or sub categories. In reply to
If you want the text to rotate to different adverts then I think you would need software. However, if you always want to display the same advert in a particular category, you can just add a new field to your Category database - call it TextAd. Put the advert in it and then just use it where you want with <%TextAd%>.

Laura.
The UK High Street
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] Adding sponsored heading to category and/or sub categories. In reply to
thanks for that, I will have a look. I guess, that method would mean I could only have one sponsor per category or sub-category and I couldn't be flexible with adding more than one on the same line and rotate them?

It was also mentioned that the Ad Cycle plug-in would be good. Anyone on the forum use Ad Cycle for the purpose I am describing? Useful to see any examples of this in operation.

Leslie
Quote Reply
Re: [bunder] Adding sponsored heading to category and/or sub categories. In reply to
Greetings!

There are a couple of options open to you. One is to use a program such as phpAdsNew - which works very well, and can be configured to use keywords, zones etc.

Combine this with an extra field in your Category Tables such as php_ads or whatever and you will be able to call a different ad for each category you have (either using the zone or keyword option - keywords give you more flexibility than zones).

It works perfectly - but if you have a 'lot' of categories it will take some time to get it up and running.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Clint.
--------------------------
http://AffiliatesDirectory.com
The Affiliate Programs Directory
Quote Reply
Re: [Clint] Adding sponsored heading to category and/or sub categories. In reply to
In Reply To:
There are a couple of options open to you. One is to use a program such as phpAdsNew - which works very well, and can be configured to use keywords, zones etc.

Hi Clint

You mentioned about phpAdsNew. Must you be using .php pages to get this to work?

The reason I'm wondering is that you posted here in this forum rather than over in the php Links forum.

Thanks.

Last edited by:

DogTags: Jan 13, 2003, 8:28 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [DogTags] Adding sponsored heading to category and/or sub categories. In reply to
No, you don't need to be running the PHP version - but you obviously do need a PHP enabled web server. I have been running it now for quite sometime with LinksSQL (cgi version).

Regards,

Clint.
--------------------------
http://AffiliatesDirectory.com
The Affiliate Programs Directory
Quote Reply
Re: [Clint] Adding sponsored heading to category and/or sub categories. In reply to
Hey, thanks! This could open some nice possibilities Smile

Much appreciated Smile

------------------------------------------