Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

changing from dynamic to static pages

Quote Reply
changing from dynamic to static pages
What is the best way to change from using dynamic pages to static?

Michael Carpenter

Adult DVD Links
Adult Detective
Quote Reply
Re: [adultdvdlinks] changing from dynamic to static pages In reply to

don't you just "build" the pages and then point to index.html in the /pages/ directory? think that's all there is to it! Unimpressed

r
Quote Reply
Re: [ryel01] changing from dynamic to static pages In reply to
Yeah, I thought that would be the way, I just wanted to make sure. It seemed to easy.

Michael Carpenter

Adult DVD Links
Adult Detective
Quote Reply
Re: [adultdvdlinks] changing from dynamic to static pages In reply to

yeah they've done a pretty good job huh! Smile

r
Quote Reply
Re: [ryel01] changing from dynamic to static pages In reply to
Well the main reason to use dynamic version of the site but still have static urls would be as below :
  • Instant update for rates, hits, etc functions
  • You can save tons and tons of web space if you are having good amount of links on your web site.

There are few posts here on this board that shows how one can have static looking dynamic url using htaccess mod rewrite.

Vishal

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [NeedScripts.Com] changing from dynamic to static pages In reply to
Using htaccess mod rewrite not a bad idea though it can cause your server to chug if you've got lots of traffic.

Another option is to setup a cron job or use Andy's cron manager plugin to call the Build All script once an hour, once daily etc.

Comedy Quotes - Glinks 3.3.0, PageBuilder, StaticURLtr, CAPTCHA, User_Edit_Profile

Quote Reply
Re: [Chas-a] changing from dynamic to static pages In reply to
In Reply To:
Build All script once an hour, once daily etc.

Hum.. if you have like 10,000 + listings.. don't you think an hourly build would put extra server load.. and in addition what about the server space. I am happy to say that I am on dedicated server with enough space, but it might not be the same case with everyone.

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Good point, if we're talking about 10,000 + listings you would want a hourly update ;)

Comedy Quotes - Glinks 3.3.0, PageBuilder, StaticURLtr, CAPTCHA, User_Edit_Profile

Quote Reply

or "Build Changed" - think that also does new links.

then it'll only build in the pages it needs to update which isn't such a big deal.

r
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Build All script once an hour, once daily etc.

Hum.. if you have like 10,000 + listings.. don't you think an hourly build would put extra server load.. and in addition what about the server space. I am happy to say that I am on dedicated server with enough space, but it might not be the same case with everyone.

In my own case the site total is about 160 Megs using dynamic and in static mode this becomes about 500 Megs. I have 314,000 links.

Hope this gives some idea.