Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

add blank index page

Quote Reply
add blank index page
I was wondering if someone can help me out.

In my directory, I am wanting to add blank index page in cgi files directory. Because if someone will just type in www.domainname.com/cgifilesplace then they will see the files within that directory. But if I can add blank index page, then this won't be the problem.

Thanks for help in advance.

Vishal Thakkar
Quote Reply
Re: [TRPN] add blank index page In reply to
You should use an .htaccess file to turn directory indexing _off_

That _should_ be the default for websites. It's a real security problem with it _on_. That's a throwback to the simpler days, when people were lazy, and wanted the webserver to do all the work :)

Ask, your ISP about how to turn that off for your account. You'll be _much_ safer with it off.

But, to specifically answer your question, just upload an index.html or index.htm (whatever your system needs) to your directory. It can even be 0 bytes on most systems, but it's nicer if you put a little message on it to direct people back to your home page.

Again, I _STRONGLY_ suggest anyone running a webserver, or with a home page, or anything, to make sure directory indexes are turned _off_! It's a major security hole if you forget to have an index.html file in every directory otherwise.

(I realize some people may disagree with me, and I really would like to hear why!! <G> Automatic directory indexing should be reserved for precious few directories, and if you are really lazy, or need dynamic indexing, then turn it on for that specific directory, and you'll at least _know_ where your security holes are!!)

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] add blank index page In reply to
Well I am having a Dedicated Web Server, but I don't know how to get this feature up and running - I guess, I better make hosting company a call.

I tried to upload a blank index.html page, but it is not allowing me to do so. Just to check if it, I re-installed Links SQL on two different places, but still got the same error.

Pl help.

Vishal Thakkar

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Put a .htaccess file in your root html/cgi directories containing:

Options -Indexes

Quote Reply
Now that is what I call Customer Support of a hosting company.

I called them about 2 minutes back and problem solved !!!!

Thanks a lot for all of you to help me out in what to do.

Vishal Thakkar

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------