Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Merge Data
Is it possible to import DB from other site without disturbing the existing DB.

Because if I am not mistaken, right now, if I import DB, it will overwrite the existing one, is there a way, where instead of overwritting the current DB, it will add to the current DB?

Thank you.

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [TRPN] Merge Data In reply to
I think that as long as you don't select "Clear Table", the existing data is not overwritten.

You might want to set up a test installation, and check if the import goes according to your wishes.

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] Merge Data In reply to
I don't think that the idea suggested is working or I guess, I am doing something wrong.

Here is the situation.

Links SQL is installed 2 places.

1) Main Site
2) Test + Data Entry Site.

On the main site, I am having 1000 + listings and at Test+Data Entry Site, I am having couple people add listings. Now I am wanting to merge the data of Test+Data Entry site to Main site.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Vishal
Quote Reply
This looks like an interesting function which would be nice to have inside the GT import section in the future. Especially as the number of people who have multipl licences grow, and they want to import or share links from one site to another. Perhaps the first step would be a 'merge backups' or 'merge databases' for links, categories and users.

Food for thought.

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] Merge Data In reply to
In Reply To:
Perhaps the first step would be a 'merge backups' or 'merge databases' for links, categories and users.

Food for thought.

Great.

Hey Ian, looks like my thoughts are still little hungry - I was wondering, if you can tell, how can this be done. :)

Vishal
Quote Reply
I might look at this for one of my ToolBox Plug-ins down the track, if it is not going to be included in the Links SQL core programe. I don't have time at the moment to look into it... it might be easy, it might be hard.

You could write a cgi file which imports both databases (links, catlinks and categories) from both sites, then merges them (adds one to the other, pulling out duplicates), then produces a thrid new merged set of databases.

Maybe someone could write this for you if you can't wait.

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] Merge Data In reply to
In Reply To:
I might look at this for one of my ToolBox Plug-ins down the track, if it is not going to be included in the Links SQL core programe. I don't have time at the moment to look into it... it might be easy, it might be hard.

You could write a cgi file which imports both databases (links, catlinks and categories) from both sites, then merges them (adds one to the other, pulling out duplicates), then produces a thrid new merged set of databases.

Maybe someone could write this for you if you can't wait.

Did you got a chance to look into it?

Thank you.

Vishal