Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Builds work but I get an "Action canceled" error in browser

Quote Reply
Builds work but I get an "Action canceled" error in browser
When running Build All and Build Changed, I get an "Action canceled - Internet Explorer was unable to link to the Web page you requested. The page might be temporarily unavailable" error. Yet, the underlying build appears to be working -- static pages are created, modified, or deleted, as the case may be.

What is causing this, and how do I correct it?

Stephen C. Nill
CharityChannel.com
Quote Reply
Re: [CharityChannel2] Builds work but I get an "Action canceled" error in browser In reply to
That typically is a time-out response from your web server due to a large number of links in your database. What you should consider doing is using telnet/ssh to re-build your directory. This has been discussed before in this forum. Search for telnet or ssh. You can also set-up a Cron job to re-build your directory automatically.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me

Last edited by:

Stealth: Sep 14, 2002, 10:40 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] Builds work but I get an "Action canceled" error in browser In reply to
Makes sense. I'm running IIS and have direct access to the server command console. Can you provide me, or link me to, the specific commands I would run to accomplish these tasks using the console? I already have the command to repair tables, but need the others.

Also, am I correct that the actual process is completing even though the page appears to time out? My staff does not, and will not, have access to the server console or other non-consumer-level tools. As long as the process is actually completing, I really can live with the time out message coming up.

Stephen C. Nill
CharityChannel.com

Last edited by:

CharityChannel2: Sep 14, 2002, 10:58 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [CharityChannel2] Builds work but I get an "Action canceled" error in browser In reply to
Since you on a Windows server, you'll need to use the Scheduler program to create a Scheduled Task.

Basically, you'd have to specify the Command Prompt as the program to run and then in the command line field, you'd have to use something like the following command:

Quote:

perl C:\Inetpub\yoursite\cgi-bin\admin\nph-build.cgi

For more information about setting up scheduled tasks, go to M$ Technet web site.

Could be...although with the script timing out, some of your pages may not be updatng. So, it is a good idea to run a scheduled task in the background, which is faster and uses less server resources than running the script through your web browser.

Good luck!
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] Builds work but I get an "Action canceled" error in browser In reply to
Thank you for the command to run from the console. I was able to use it to manually run the build.

Automating it is something I'll pursue, I suppose -- but it's going to present problems. My staff and I need the ability to generate static pages immediately -- waiting around for the appointed hour for the server to run the build routine is going to present workflow problems. I suppose I could time it to run, say, every 20 minutes, but that seems to put unnecessary burdens on the server.

A far better solution is for me to know how to avoid the time-out in the first place. Is there a way to do that ... some setting somewhere or line of code in the perl script? I'm only at 1,336 links at this point. Isn't Links SQL supposed to handle such numbers (and much more) with ease?

Stephen C. Nill
CharityChannel.com

Last edited by:

CharityChannel2: Sep 15, 2002, 6:05 AM
Quote Reply
For most web servers and OS, yes. But if you have not optimized your Windows server to handle execution of Perl, then they are notorious for memory leaks and also time out when running complicated Perl scripts.

What are the specs of the server where your LSQL site is hosted? (Both hardware and software)

Like what is your CPU brand/model (e.g., Dell, HP, etc.), what version of Windows server are you running, what version of IIS are you using, what version of Perl is installed in your server, etc.?

Definitely sounds to me that you have not installed appropriate patches in your server, which is causing excessive memory leak and timing out of your Perl scripts, like LSQL.
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
So, the problem is, if I'm following you, likely to be the speed with which Perl us running on my server?

Here's the info on my server you requested: It's a Dell dedicated Win2k Server running Dual PIII 933Mhz Processors, 1024Mb of RAM, and a 36GB SCSI drive. I'm running PerlEx dual-processor version. PerlEx, as you know, is the version of Perl written and optimized for the Windows platform. The dual-processor version takes full advantage of both processors.

I've religiously and slavishly installed every patch the moment it's released. Obviously, I can't rule out some lack of optimization issue on my server; however, it's quite unlikely. I note that other perl programs are running quite well on my box, with no apparent delays in processing. So, I take it that there's no line of code in the Perl script or other parameter within Links that I can set to extend the time to enable the browser to keep pace with the build routine in MySQL and the Links script?

Cheers,

Stephen C. Nill
CharityChannel.com

Last edited by:

CharityChannel2: Sep 15, 2002, 8:53 AM
Quote Reply
Hi all.

I started getting the same error lately. For me it is not a time out error since I changed my Perl/CGI execution time to 15 minutes.

Also, the error comes up about 2 seconds after I click on any of the build options which clearly indicates that this is not a timeout error.... here is the weird thing..... If I click on the build links from the browser on the server which is running an old version of IE6, it works perfectly fine, but any other workstation, or server, in my office which has had IE6 patched up, gets that Action Cancelled error. It seems that one of the IE patches somehow is causing this error.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am running WIN2K SP2 on a dual processor box with 1 gig of Ram