Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

LinksSql Killing Server

Quote Reply
LinksSql Killing Server
We had 40,000 on our site, we now have 350,000 on it. Since we added that many links linkssql can not handle the load. I am unable to preform admin functions, and no one can add a site to it through the web site.

I asked our server admin (we have a dedicated server specs of test are below) -what the problem was their response was

"That script is a hog (using 90.7% and 17.0% of all CPU resources), and is just taking forever to read in/process data from the MySQL database."

How do we get it to move faster? Its killing our traffic that the linkssql can't handle this big of a database - any ideas????

[server info]

443 processes: 1 running, 441 sleeping, 1 zombie
CPU states: 3.9% user, 0.0% nice, 2.5% system, 0.4% interrupt, 93.2% idle
Mem: 107M Active, 23M Inact, 66M Wired, 2780K Cache, 112M Buf, 806M Free Swap: 512M Total, 512M Free

Basically, you've got 800 MB of RAM free out of 1 GB, and both processors stay between 80% and 95% idle.

thanks

pelslvr
Quote Reply
Re: [PelsLvr] LinksSql Killing Server In reply to
Just an idea, but is speedy CGI installed on your server?

Andy
Quote Reply
Re: [AndyNewby] LinksSql Killing Server In reply to
mod_perl would be better Wink
Quote Reply
To run that size directory, you will need to run under mod_perl. I don't think there is any way around it.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] LinksSql Killing Server In reply to
Is that something I need to change? Or script change or server change?

No idea what mod_perl is ;-(
Quote Reply
Do you have a dedicated server? I assume you do?

I can help you out if you wish, just send an email to pwilson@wiredon.net if interested
Quote Reply
mod_perl is a module that's integraded into Apache to allow for persitant connections. Your server administrator should be able to install this for you, although I believe Links SQL might need some tweaking.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] LinksSql Killing Server In reply to
>>
mod_perl is a module that's integraded into Apache to allow for persitant connections.
<<

Apache::DBI is for persistant database connections.

mod_perl loads code into memory.
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] LinksSql Killing Server In reply to
Someone has suggest I get mod_gzip it supposeably works wonders for something like this. Anyone ever used it before or know where it can be picked up at??

PelsLvr
Quote Reply
mod_gzip reduces page sizes at the server before delivery using common compression methods. Very effective on heavy HTML laden pages.
http://www.remotecommunications.com

~ ERASER

Free JavaScripts @ Insight Eye
Quote Reply
I assume with that many links and the pull on the server your running dynamic pages rather than static. I have 1.4m links in my directory, but run static pages and I am having no problems. I would love to be able to run it under mod-perl, but I have other software that won't run with mod-perl so I am stuck. Static pages may be the answer.
Webmaster
http://www.e-bannerx.com
Quote Reply
Re: [fulcan] LinksSql Killing Server In reply to
the site is ran on static pages thats not the problem
Quote Reply
Hi,

Links SQL can handle well over 350,000 links on it. If you have lots of visitors to your site, I would recommend installing SpeedyCGI or mod_perl. SpeedyCGI is the easier of the two. Simply download and install it, and change the path to perl in your .cgi files from #!/usr/bin/perl to #!/usr/bin/speedy and that's it! You will see a huge increase in performance.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.