Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Links Sql 2.2 with Dreamweaver MX 2004

Quote Reply
Links Sql 2.2 with Dreamweaver MX 2004
Good morning all.
I am about to venture into using the Links SQL 2.2 product for the first time. I currently us Dreamweaver MX 2004 to do my web page creation and editing. I want to be able to have my own template design for this new web site by having editable space on all four sides of the Links SQL content. I have a few questions before I get started and wanted to see if I could get the answers here.

1) Would it be easier for me to create a new template from scratch and try to incorporate the Links SQL code into it, or use one of the premade templates that come with the product and edit it in Dreamweaver to my liking?

and as a follow-up queston...
2) How easy, or difficult, is it to use Dreamweaver MX 2004 as an editor for Links SQL templates? What are issues I need to watch out for?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jaggster
Quote Reply
Re: [Jaggster] Links Sql 2.2 with Dreamweaver MX 2004 In reply to
Quote:
1) Would it be easier for me to create a new template from scratch and try to incorporate the Links SQL code into it, or use one of the premade templates that come with the product and edit it in Dreamweaver to my liking?

It all really depends on what you are wanting to do. If your design is going to be similar to one of the pre-made sets; then it will probably be easier to just modify an existing design. However, if you're design is going to be very different to the existing ones; then its best to just download a copy of the templates; and look at what tags are being used in them (normally a good idea on how to set it up on your design).

Quote:
2) How easy, or difficult, is it to use Dreamweaver MX 2004 as an editor for Links SQL templates? What are issues I need to watch out for?

I've never really used Dreamweaver (MX, or basic) .... but from what I've heard, you have to be careful (tags don't show up). Personally, I'd recommend using FrontPage (XP,2000/1998)... as this handles it pretty well (and also has a "show hidden tags" option, which helps a lot when designing sites).

Hope that helps :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Links Sql 2.2 with Dreamweaver MX 2004 In reply to
Hey Andy,
Thanks for the info. I guess the best thing for me to do is to load one of the existing templates into Dreamweaver and see if I can detect all the SQL code correctly.....if its not too complex I will probably try to create a new template from scratch. Since I dont own Frontpage and have been excusively working with Dreamweaver I am going to try this with Dreamweaver. Hopefully there wont be any issues.

If anyone out there has run into problem/issues using Dreamweaver MX 2004 to edit Links SQL templates, please let me know.
Thanks.
Jaggster
Quote Reply
Re: [Jaggster] Links Sql 2.2 with Dreamweaver MX 2004 In reply to
I use DreamWeaver MX2004 all the time. Nothing better, in my view, althought I also do a lot of source editing.

My personal preference is to create my own templates and then insert the appropriate codes, rather than actually try and edit the templates.

Also, DreamWeaver will show up the Tags - usually they identify them as ASP tags. Just make sure in 'Preferences' 'Invisible Elements' you check the boxes that apply.

Regards,

Clint.
--------------------------
http://AffiliatesDirectory.com
The Affiliate Programs Directory
Quote Reply
Re: [Clint] Links Sql 2.2 with Dreamweaver MX 2004 In reply to
Ditto on the last. Dreamweaver is ok.