Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Admin Browser Compatibility

Quote Reply
Admin Browser Compatibility
Has anyone had problems with Links admin, in particular the browse menu and associated javascript, across various web browsers.

All works in IE (Windows), Firefox, Mozilla (Mac) but not in Safari(Mac) for example.

I'd also be interested to know if anyone has found out what setting needs to be changed in Safari to be compatible with Links.

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins

Last edited by:

Ian: Sep 21, 2004, 10:01 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] Admin Browser Compatibility In reply to
I have Firefox v.0.9.1 and I can't get the Category tree to display in the left-hand frame when I use the Browse option.

I get the first folder image with the arrow image, but even if I click on the folder or the arrow all I get is an endless "Loading..." message on the status bar for that left-hand frame.

I just installed version 2.2.1 of LinksSQL, imported my old data just fine, and did a complete rebuild. All is displaying perfectly on the live portion of the site (i.e., categories, detail pages). In other words, all seems to be fine.

I checked my Firefox browser settings and Javascript is turned on. Although, I have been getting a reminder to update my Javascript that I keep ignoring...hmmm? Just checked it and it says I have Version 1.4.2_05 (build 1.4.2_05-b04) installed but that there's an update available. I wonder if that'll have an effect? Think I'll wait on that one until I get a reply here.

Ironically, I installed this new version 2.2.1 specifically to use the Browse option.

Any suggestions for getting the category tree to display?
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] Admin Browser Compatibility In reply to
Kind of an old post, but for future reference, you can get the patch to make it work in Safari here: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...?post=278226;#278226

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [DH123] Admin Browser Compatibility In reply to
If I remember correctly, the last time I ran into this, it was a bug in the version of Perl on the system. Does it work in other browsers (IE, newest version of Firefox [1.0.2], etc)?

PS: javascript != java

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Admin Browser Compatibility In reply to
Adrian,

Following your advice, I discover, that yes, the category tree works spiffily well in IE (though I really never wanted to fire up that virus magnet since I installed Firefox.)

And yes, you are quite correct that Java != JavaScript, but I was grabbing at straws and thought I'd over informa-tize my post.

:)

I will use IE for this task alone, but will also upgrade Firefox and then maybe it'll work too.

Thanks for guiding me to a solution.
Quote Reply
Re: [DH123] Admin Browser Compatibility In reply to
Firefox 0.9.1 is awfully old. You should really update, since there have been quite a lot of fixes and improvements since 0.9.1!

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Admin Browser Compatibility In reply to
Adrian,

Works perfectly in Firefox v1.0.2 :)

Boy, two totally n00b maneuvers, by me, in one day. I better lie down and have a nap.

Thanks for the help. :)