Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

glinks test feedback

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
glinks test feedback
Test Install : 2.2.0 -->3.0 (non mod_perl route)

(A) Observations:

Search Weight settings lost on upgrade.
Indexing Scheme settings lost on upgrade.

Build Changed Gives Following Error:

A fatal error has occured:
GT::SQL::Relation (8832): Bad columns / column clash: columns named 'Timestmp' have been found in current relation, please qualify your expression at nph-build.cgi line 530.

(B) Suggestions:

• Newletter Subscription Could Be And Endless Vertical Scroll if the Cat/Subcat grows too large. So perhaps a List of "Expandable On Click" Root Categories would be a better option to reduce the vertical scroll. Otherwise imagine 40 categaries with 50 subcategories each... the page could be a endless page ... a 2000 lines page.
  • Just Like BookMark Management, Something For The Newsletters too in order to eliminate the resource hungry Mailserver route of mailings for newsletter.
  • Ability for user to change password.
Other observations wrt TOP_LINKS etc has already been reported so i am not duplicating on that.

Qstns:

The Spacing between categories is too close. Wheer exactly can that be changed? (both on home page and cat/subcat pages).

Have not yet tested the plugins, as would like to duplicate luna in other cosmetic stuff with our present site layout, so cannot repport on that yet.

TIA
HyTC

Thanks
HyTC
==================================
Mail Me If Contacting Privately Is That Necessary.

Last edited by:

HyperTherm: Mar 7, 2005, 9:13 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [HyperTherm] glinks test feedback In reply to
(1). All ENUM type proerty lost during upgrade
(had few custom columns added in the original working install)

[EDIT] Custom textarea columns get converted to text upon upgrade[/EDIT]

(2) Dynamic Mode:

Category Listing Navigation Breaks
No change even after repair tables etc.

Diff between 2 & 3:

2.2.0: page.cgi?d=1;g=CategoryName/index.html (as seen from status bar)
beta : page.cgi?g=%%/index.html;d=1 (as seen from status bar)

And this breaks.
Going back to Home in dynamic mode from the above step gives this extra g=;

page.cgi?g=;d=1

HyTC

Thanks
HyTC

Last edited by:

HyperTherm: Mar 7, 2005, 12:46 PM
Quote Reply
HTML Formatting like bullets etc are lost after upgrading.
I have text area columns added to links table.
Version 2.2.0 shows it fine.

How could this be added back?
Just exploring the test install.
Upgrade seems to modify table columns and set it back to text (all non text .. like ENUM/Text Area etc.). Can this also mean data loss on upgrade?

TIA
HyTC

Thanks
HyTC
Quote Reply
Thanks for the bug reports, I'll look into them in a bit. As for the dynamic mode bug, the fix has been added to Gossamer Update - check your admin panel.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] glinks test feedback In reply to
Thanks for the dynamic mode fix.
This update feature really would make bugfix upgrades so worry less :)
Not causing any errors but in dynamic mode, the Home link has that g=; (if that's the way it should be then np)

Thanks
HyTC

Thanks
HyTC
Quote Reply
It's always been like that.

Adrian
Quote Reply
I would prefer to change that g= URL parameter.
It doesn't make sense. Would be fine to be able to change URL parameters to translated ones on my national language.

I wrote a complete suggestion about this feature here:
[Suggestion] Search Engine Friendly GT v3.0 apps & URL translations

I implemented this feature info one of my plugins, but if GT has plans to implement this feature into GT apps, I would be glad.
Anyway, let me know if this is planned of not, as I would not like to do unnecessary developments on my plugin, if you do same similar plans...

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Here's a diff to nph-build.cgi to fix bug (A):
Code:
--- nph-build.cgi 5 Mar 2005 01:29:10 -0000 1.74
+++ nph-build.cgi 8 Mar 2005 21:11:45 -0000 1.75
@@ -133,7 +133,7 @@
GT::Plugins->dispatch("$CFG->{admin_root_path}/Plugins", 'create_ratings', \&_build_ratings, {});

# Build Changed Detailed Page.
- GT::Plugins->dispatch("$CFG->{admin_root_path}/Plugins", 'create_detailed_changed', \&_build_detailed, GT::SQL::Condition->new('Timestmp', '>=', $time));
+ GT::Plugins->dispatch("$CFG->{admin_root_path}/Plugins", 'create_detailed_changed', \&_build_detailed, GT::SQL::Condition->new('Links.Timestmp', '>=', $time));

# Build Changed Category Pages.
GT::Plugins->dispatch("$CFG->{admin_root_path}/Plugins", 'create_category_changed', \&_build_category, GT::SQL::Condition->new('Timestmp', '>=', $time));

Adrian

Last edited by:

brewt: Mar 8, 2005, 4:36 PM
Quote Reply
Quote:
Newletter Subscription Could Be And Endless Vertical Scroll if the Cat/Subcat grows too large. So perhaps a List of "Expandable On Click" Root Categories would be a better option to reduce the vertical scroll. Otherwise imagine 40 categaries with 50 subcategories each... the page could be a endless page ... a 2000 lines page.
Unless you have a very flat category structure, the newsletter_max_depth option should prevent having too many categories shown on the newsletter page.

Quote:
Just Like BookMark Management, Something For The Newsletters too in order to eliminate the resource hungry Mailserver route of mailings for newsletter.
This feature will likely make it into Gossamer Links since it essentially involves a creating a private message system, which I don't think really fits in.

Quote:
Ability for user to change password.
We have this on our todo list.

Adrian
Quote Reply
missing header for unified diff

HyTC

Thanks
HyTC
Quote Reply
Quote:
Unless you have a very flat category structure, the newsletter_max_depth option should prevent having too many categories shown on the newsletter page.

Unfortunately i do not have much of categoty depth. So it's going to be a loooong page for the user to scroll.

Quote:
This feature will likely make it into Gossamer Links since it essentially involves a creating a private message system, which I don't think really fits in.

As GT Wishes. There will always be this issue of SA Compliance wrt mailings then which in any case till it is attended to.

Quote:
We have this on our todo list.

Thanks

HyTC

Thanks
HyTC
Quote Reply
Oops, fixed.

Adrian
Quote Reply
patching file nph-build.cgi
Hunk #1 FAILED at 133.

HyTC

Thanks
HyTC
Quote Reply
Quote:
Unfortunately i do not have much of categoty depth. So it's going to be a loooong page for the user to scroll.
But then you must also have that problem with the category listing on the home page and category.html pages?

Quote:
As GT Wishes. There will always be this issue of SA Compliance wrt mailings then which in any case till it is attended to.
The notification e-mails in 3.x have been converted to be proper rfc822 style e-mails (ie. they contain the full headers as well as the body), allowing you fully customise the e-mails. Unfortunately, the mass mailings do not allow for such customisation yet.

Adrian
Quote Reply
It's a very simple change, just make the change manually.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Quote:
But then you must also have that problem with the category listing on the home page and category.html pages?

Talking of Actual Results:

22 Top Categories : So Home Page Is Fine with 2 column display which makes it to 11 rows wrt listing point.

Max Sub cat is 50 and with 2 column listing again that approximates to about 25 rows.

Problem aggravates when on Newsletter Page:

22*50 = 1100 rows to scroll.

Ideally:

Expandable Root Categories Listed By Default. On Clicking a given root catgory, the same is expanded to display what's underneath.

Once another root category is clicked the expanded root category folds back in. Something like what finally came up in GMail dTree stuff.

This would keep the scroll down to bare minimum.
Just my suggestion when we are talking of a 2k5 version of Gossamer Links. Better alternatives could be proposed by others, but such a long page scroll would restrict the usefulness.

Quote:
Unfortunately, the mass mailings do not allow for such customisation yet.

This is where the actual problem is. Actually wrt other mailings it's not that troublesome from resource usage point of view. it's the mass mailings which could be bothering.

HyTC

Thanks
HyTC
Quote Reply
Ideally, we would use something like dTree for this, but unfortunately we want to keep that kind of dependence on javascript in Gossamer Links to a minimum, and putting support for both on that page could create a pretty large page. The objective was to keep things a simple as possible. So in cases where you have many categories, you'll probably want to keep the max depth set at 1.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Not too sure about this but just a qstn:

Can the category column settings in admin (2/3/4 or whatever is set) be used for splitting the listings under root categories (in newsletter browse page) into so many columns? At least that way (if possible), the scroll could be reduced to half if the setting is 2 columns.

ON js issue, the most crucial component on admin side is js dependant :)

HyTC
Quote Reply
If you're talking about the old build_category_columns option, no, this option has been deprecated in 3.x and has only been left in for backwards compatibility. Layout options like this should not be done in the code (and isn't in 3.x), but done in the templates. If you want to split up the output then do so in the templates.

Quote:
ON js issue, the most crucial component on admin side is js dependant :)
That's different Tongue We can require the admin to have javascript support, but it's not the same on the user side, though I think the newsletter feature is almost a non-essential feature that you could require javascript for and not get too many complaints.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Speaking of JavaScript, the Browse feature crashes when using Safari on OSX. When clicking on a category folder I get a message saying:
Code:
=============================================
An error has occurred.
=============================================

Unable to move/copy a link to the root category, please pick a subcategory.

Safari is generally a fairly compliant browser. I have to use Firefox for Links SQL admin though due to this issue.
Quote Reply
Re: [aus_dave] glinks test feedback In reply to
Is that the only javascript issue you get? If you give me a list of problems, I might take a look (the browser code is pretty ancient, hasn't been touched in years and isn't pleasant to go through) all in one go if I get a chance.

Adrian
Quote Reply
It's the only JavaScript issue I get in Links SQL admin (is it used anywhere else?).

The above issue makes the Browser unusable - once the error occurs it redirects to the admin home page, sometimes duplicating a new page inside another if that makes sense.
Quote Reply
Re: [aus_dave] glinks test feedback In reply to
Here's a patch to the browser.html template to fix the issue with Safari:
Code:
--- admin/browser.html 1 Mar 2005 02:14:55 -0000 1.20
+++ admin/browser.html 9 Mar 2005 21:00:28 -0000
@@ -1065,22 +1065,22 @@
* user clicks on a node then we must trigger a move action,
* otherwise it is a normal select action.
*/
- if (frames[RIGHT_FRAME_ID].move_from)
+ if (frames[RIGHT_FRAME_ID].move_from && typeof(frames[RIGHT_FRAME_ID].move_from) != "function")
{
CAN_UPDATE = 1;
move_node (frames[RIGHT_FRAME_ID].move_from, id);
}
- else if (frames[RIGHT_FRAME_ID].link_move)
+ else if (frames[RIGHT_FRAME_ID].link_move && typeof(frames[RIGHT_FRAME_ID].link_move) != "function")
{
CAN_UPDATE = 1;
link_move (frames[RIGHT_FRAME_ID].link_move, frames[RIGHT_FRAME_ID].old_category_id, id)
}
- else if (frames[RIGHT_FRAME_ID].link_copy)
+ else if (frames[RIGHT_FRAME_ID].link_copy && typeof(frames[RIGHT_FRAME_ID].link_copy) != "function")
{
CAN_UPDATE = 1;
link_copy (frames[RIGHT_FRAME_ID].link_copy, frames[RIGHT_FRAME_ID].old_category_id, id)
}
- else if (frames[RIGHT_FRAME_ID].related_to)
+ else if (frames[RIGHT_FRAME_ID].related_to && typeof(frames[RIGHT_FRAME_ID].related_to) != "function")
{
frames[RIGHT_FRAME_ID].document.related_form.related_to.value = id;
frames[RIGHT_FRAME_ID].document.related_form.category_id.value = frames[RIGHT_FRAME_ID].related_to;
@@ -1117,22 +1117,22 @@
* user clicks on a node then we must trigger a move action,
* otherwise it is a normal select action.
*/
- if (frames[RIGHT_FRAME_ID].move_from)
+ if (frames[RIGHT_FRAME_ID].move_from && typeof(frames[RIGHT_FRAME_ID].move_from) != "function")
{
CAN_UPDATE = 1;
move_node (frames[RIGHT_FRAME_ID].move_from, id);
}
- else if (frames[RIGHT_FRAME_ID].link_move)
+ else if (frames[RIGHT_FRAME_ID].link_move && typeof(frames[RIGHT_FRAME_ID].link_move) != "function")
{
CAN_UPDATE = 1;
link_move (frames[RIGHT_FRAME_ID].link_move, frames[RIGHT_FRAME_ID].old_category_id, id)
}
- else if (frames[RIGHT_FRAME_ID].link_copy)
+ else if (frames[RIGHT_FRAME_ID].link_copy && typeof(frames[RIGHT_FRAME_ID].link_copy) != "function")
{
CAN_UPDATE = 1;
link_copy (frames[RIGHT_FRAME_ID].link_copy, frames[RIGHT_FRAME_ID].old_category_id, id)
}
- else if (frames[RIGHT_FRAME_ID].related_to)
+ else if (frames[RIGHT_FRAME_ID].related_to && typeof(frames[RIGHT_FRAME_ID].related_to) != "function")
{
frames[RIGHT_FRAME_ID].document.related_form.related_to.value = id;
frames[RIGHT_FRAME_ID].document.related_form.category_id.value = frames[RIGHT_FRAME_ID].related_to;
@@ -1159,7 +1159,7 @@
{
var elements = [ 'A','B','C','D','E','F','G','H','I','J','K','L','M','N','O','P','Q','R','S','T','U','V','W','X','Y','Z' ];
var result = "";
- for (var i=0; i<10; i++) result += elements[Math.round (elements.length * Math.random())];
+ for (var i=0; i<10; i++) result += elements[Math.round((elements.length - 1) * Math.random())];
return result;
}

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] glinks test -- Search Results Navigation bug In reply to
Admin Sets search results per page to say 3.
Navigation by clicking on the |<| <| |> |>|
is fine but the JS Navigation Fails. For example going directly to page 3 from page 1 gives this as address (hence 404 error):

<%build_root_url%>/nh

something like : http://path/to/glinks/3 where 3 is the page number being jumped to from drop down navigation menu (js enabled)

The non js version with the Go button however functions fine....

This is a Bug

HyTC

Thanks
HyTC

Last edited by:

HyperTherm: Mar 9, 2005, 6:25 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [HyperTherm] glinks test -- Search Results Navigation bug In reply to
Can you be more specific on what you changed and did and on what pages the error is occuring on? The paging seems to work fine here.

Adrian
> >