Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

a:link CSS not working

Quote Reply
a:link CSS not working
Ok maybe I'm crazy (at this point I might be)

I've tried multiple variables in my CSS and nothing seems to work.

I've removed all references to styles / fonts / etc. from the globals, templates, etc and added my own style sheet to the header include. Everything works execept one thing the a:link and only on "new" category links. If I've visited them then they work but when i first add them they don't. Also noticed it on the "review it" etc links after each link.

It doest matter weather I use

a {blablabla}

a:link {blablabla}

it just won't pick it up. Got any idea or anyone else seen this before?
Quote Reply
Re: [Dale_Brown] a:link CSS not working In reply to
Ok more info.

This is also happening on my links page but the interesting part is:

The link title will show up and not pick up the a:link tag but when I mouse over or click on it then it does pick it up after that no matter how much i refresh UNTIL I say go back to another page then go back to that page then it will not pick up the a:link anymore. Interesting....
Quote Reply
Are you defining the <table> class? i.e. <table class="text" ...blabla>. I was playing with this yesterday, and that seemed to fix the problems of the CSS not being taken into consideration :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] a:link CSS not working In reply to
Naa I removed all the table th and td class statements and made sure to get rid of all the globals also. I've checked the templates from top to bottom and cannot find anything out of place. I can make changes to anything else even those tags and they take place but just on new / unvisited links does it do this. Oh yeah and on certain links like stated earlier in the link template and subcategory template it will seem to reset if I leave and come back it will treat it as not visited anymore.
Quote Reply
Those a: classes can drive you crazy Smile.

Make sure that you have the a:link, a:visited etc. definitions in the correct order in your style sheet (link, visited, hover then active or LVHA), otherwise the cascading styles will be all out of whack.

More info can be found at W3C.
Quote Reply
Re: [aus_dave] a:link CSS not working In reply to
Well that lead me to my answer and I feel pretty stupid. I had the <style></style> tags at the start and end of my sheet and that was causing a failure to read my first line (of course the a:link one)..

They had a validator located here (just cut and paste your style sheet and it will show you errors):

http://jigsaw.w3.org/.../validator-text.html
Quote Reply
The W3C validators can be very useful - glad to hear they helped Smile