Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Rename detailed page?

Quote Reply
Rename detailed page?
Is it possible to have the detailed page created in the directory of the link and use the Title for a file name instead of the item number or would this be a major rewrite?

--

Kriis
Quote Reply
Re: [kriis] Rename detailed page? In reply to
It would create a uniqueness problem, and violate the laws of database design.

But, if you wanted to risk arrest (or at least bugs and problems) you could probably do it by overloading the detail_page code where it creates the path. How complex this would be depends on whether this is centralized in Links or not....

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Rename detailed page? In reply to
There wouldn't be any uniqueness issue if the Column Index where set to Unique for the Title field, would there? Doesn't that force you to set a unique name for the field?

I am not sure what you meant by >>whether this is centralized in Links or not<<. Could you elaborate?

--

Kriis
Quote Reply
Re: [kriis] Rename detailed page? In reply to
Yes, you'd have to force the title to be unique.

But, the advantage of the ID field, is that the database _ensures_ uniqueness, and if deleted, that number will not be re-used. It's a "key" field, and there is no way to introduce errors by using it. It's part of the logic and theory of database normalization.

If the code for generating the detail page name is centralized, it would be a matter of changing one area of the code. If it's not, you'd have to change the code in the build and dynamic routines every place the detailed page is written and/or accessed.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Rename detailed page? In reply to
I'm trying a 'similar' kind of thing. Basically, for SE rankings, I want the detailed pages to be generated like;

ID_title.html (title is escaped of harmful charachters).

I am looking in sub build_detailed { (in admin/Links/Build.pm), but can't actually see where the file is physically written to the server.

Anyone got any pointers Unsure

TIA

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Rename detailed page? In reply to
Anyone?

BTW: I've tried yogi's mod_rewrite hack, but the server I'm developing on doesn't have it installed/enabled :(

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
I posted exactly how to do this.

Keep in mind that Yogi's PageBuilder is required.

Then you hack it a little ...

Try a couple of searches ...
Quote Reply
Re: [webslicer] Rename detailed page? In reply to
I managed to do it now. Its pretty simple once you know how (thanks for the pointers Aki Cool).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
What was your solution?
Quote Reply
Re: [webslicer] Rename detailed page? In reply to
Had to edit quite a few files. Can't remember them exactly.. but the general ones were;

SiteHTML.pm
Build.pm
Page.pm
nph-build.cgi

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Andy,

Are you working on a new plugin for this now:)

Craven
Quote Reply
Re: [craven32] Rename detailed page? In reply to
Afraid not. Got *way* too much custom work to get done :( Also missed out on a couple of days this week, as I had to go to London for some meetings (7hours drive... it sucked), sorry.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk