Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Possible addition to next version...

Quote Reply
Possible addition to next version...
Not sure if this would be a help to anyone, but I would really like to see the option of when deleting a category, being allowed to transfer all its contents to another category. I know its quite easy to do...but it would be nice to have the feature built in Tongue

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Possible addition to next version... In reply to
Andy, I would like to see a similar function.... perhaps just one more step than what you are suggestion and that is:

That ability to move all the links in a directory to another with one click. This was covered in another thread, with an sql solution. Having actually tried this, I found out you can't do it, because it messes up your category counts.

So I am with you 100%... functions like this should be built into Links, and I would love to see it in the next version!!! It would save me hours when cleaning up categories.

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] Possible addition to next version... In reply to
I'm not sure if this will be possible, but maybe a plugin would do the job. I may look into it this week, as I have a free week off college Smile

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
How you guys fit all this stuff between course week beats me! Good stuff.

I wonder if GT has done anything along these lines for the next Links SQL though? If not, I would love to see this!!

Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Yeah, it would definatly be nice. The main problem I can see with it is when removing the categories from links_Category, I obviously need to remove them from links_Links too (thats the easy part)...but its the 'related' ones that I can envisage having problems with Frown

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Yes, I looked at a while back... and it just got more complicated the more you looked at it.

Having said that, essentialy the code should already lay in a links module somewhere in another form. There is a delete category function, which has the answer in it somewhere.

It would be nice if GT took this one on... especially moving or copying categories, because of the involvement with editors.

I think a mass copying (and/or moving) of links could be done though.

Links badly needs more category tools!

Links Plugins

Last edited by:

Ian: Jun 3, 2002, 8:47 AM
Quote Reply
# Update the links to use the new category.
$DB->table('CatLinks')->update( { CategoryID => $new_id }, { CategoryID => $old_id } );

# Update the relations.
$DB->table('Relations')->update( { CategoryID => $new_id }, { CategoryID => $old_id } );

$DB->table('Relations')->update( { RelatedID => $new_id }, { RelatedID => $old_id } );

# Delete the old category.
$DB->table('Category')->delete( { ID => $old_id } );

That could be way off but basically it should just update all category ids with the new one.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Possible addition to next version... In reply to
CrazyDon't the category counts have to be updated also?

The other thing that I wonder about doing these functions, is what happens to the search tables??

Links Plugins

Last edited by:

Ian: Jun 3, 2002, 8:51 AM
Quote Reply
Cool...thanks for the pointer. I'll have a look at it either later today, or tomorrow sometime. Not promising anything though Tongue

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Thats why I covered myself saying I could be way off Cool
Quote Reply
Thats ok... it looks WAY too complicated for me...

Good Luck Andy. This would be very useful indeed!

Links Plugins