Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

How do I show all links by specific user in search.cgi results

Quote Reply
How do I show all links by specific user in search.cgi results
How do I show all links by a user by brower bar search ie. /cgi-bin/search.cgi?query=this&???

to show results for a specific user and list all links submitted by that user.

thanks

Last edited by:

socrates: Nov 3, 2005, 6:01 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [socrates] How do I show all links by specific user in search.cgi results In reply to
search.cgi?query=*;LinkOwner=USER

i.e;

search.cgi?query=*;LinkOwner=admin

...would list all links by "admin" Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] How do I show all links by specific user in search.cgi results In reply to
Hi Andy,

Thanks for that. Do you think there is any way to get a drop list of usernames so that people can choose from it ? Although I suppose with quite a few web sites this means a pretty long list !

Thanks,

John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Re: [Jag] How do I show all links by specific user in search.cgi results In reply to
Hi,

Try this as a new global;

Code:
sub {

my $sth = $DB->table('Links')->select( ['DISTINCT(LinkOwner)'] ) || return $GT::SQL::error;
my $back;
$back .= qq{<select name="LinkOwner">};
while (my $user = $sth->fetchrow) {
$back .= qq{<option value="$user">$user</option>};
}
$back .= qq{</select>};

return $back;

}

...and just put in search.html, inside the <form> part Smile

(untested)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] How do I show all links by specific user in search.cgi results In reply to
Another way would be to use fetchall_list - it's a little shorter and simpler.

Code:
my @usernames = $DB->table('Links')->select('DISTINCT(LinkOwner)')->fetchall_list;

Then you can just use a simple foreach loop, or just map.

You should always call $sth->finish if you create an $sth object. I think GT::SQL does it for you as a last resort but it's better to call finish() yourself.

Last edited by:

Hargreaves: Nov 4, 2005, 5:31 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Hargreaves] How do I show all links by specific user in search.cgi results In reply to
Erm, not really ;) You still have to do a foreach() to get those values out Tongue

>>
You should always call $sth->finish if you create an $sth object. I think GT::SQL does it for you as a last resort but it's better to call finish() yourself.
<<

Why? GT::SQL does this all for you. Thats why its a lot cleaner that trying to use DBI Angelic

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Thanks, Andy and Hargreaves

I'll have to try that out. I'm still a bit worried about what it will start to look like when there are hundreds of users in a list like that.
I think I'll most probably only display it for authenticated users anyway...

I think I might also try to use Community to pull the users full name so that it's more understandable when viewing the list...

John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Quote:
Erm, not really ;) You still have to do a foreach() to get those values out

I agree there's not great deal of difference, but fetchall_list is ideal for this sort of situation where you only need a list of values from one colunm and it also saves you having to deal with the $sth object.

I was thinking along the lines of:

Code:
my @users = $DB->table('Links')->select('DISTINCT(LinkOwner)')->fetchall_list;
return qq|<select name="LinkOwner">\n| . map(qq|<option value=$_">$_</option>\n|, @users) . qq|</select>\n|;

The newlines are useful for display purposes too.

Quote:
Why? GT::SQL does this all for you. Thats why its a lot cleaner that trying to use DBI

In a small code snippet it is perhaps not a big deal but calling $sth->finish() is good coding practice. GT::SQL only calls finish() when the $sth object is about to be destroyed. If you have a piece of code performing lots of queries then you are going to have lots of open handles which is not a good idea.
Quote Reply
Re: [Jag] How do I show all links by specific user in search.cgi results In reply to
You shouldn't have too many problems using the select list unless you have an incredible number of users :)

Infact you could even use a template loop to build the select list instead of mixing perl and html in the global.
Quote Reply
Re: [Hargreaves] How do I show all links by specific user in search.cgi results In reply to
Wink

I was thinking that when I saw you're comment to Andy, that it would maybe better to use a template so that I could in that way define a CSS class for the list, plus the GCommunity code for the name and lay it out nicely !

Thanks, John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Hi,

Yup, to use in a loop, with my global, you could use;

Code:
sub {

my $sth = $DB->table('Links')->select( ['DISTINCT(LinkOwner)'] ) || return $GT::SQL::error;
my @back;
while (my $user = $sth->fetchrow_hashref) {
push @back, $user;
}

return { linkowner_list => \@back };

}

..and then link in the template with;

Code:
<%global_name%>
<%loop linkowner_list%>
<select value="<%LinkOwner%>"><%LinkOwner%></select>
<%endloop%>

..or with Hargreves one, something like;

Code:
sub {
my @users = $DB->table('Links')->select('DISTINCT(LinkOwner)')->fetchall_list;

my @back; my $tmphash;
map { $tmphash->{LinkOwner} = $_; push @back, $tmphash }, @users;
return { linkowner_list => \@back };
}

..and again, call with (for less confusion :P);

Code:
<%global_name%>
<%loop linkowner_list%>
<select value="<%LinkOwner%>"><%LinkOwner%></select>
<%endloop%>

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
I think with the second example you'd get a warning about map being used in a void context.

A template loop can be created without the need for map or a foreach loop. Simply use fetchall_hashref....

Code:
sub {
my $data = $DB->table('Links')->select('DISTINCT(LinkOwner)')->fetchall_hashref;
return { LinkOwnerList => $data }
}