Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Fatal error when trying to create account

Quote Reply
Fatal error when trying to create account
Hello. This problem just started a couple of days ago and I'm mystified as to why. No one can create a new account to add sites anymore. If anyone has any ideas on what I can do..I would be most appreciateive! The following is the error that is generated:

A fatal error has occured:

Can't locate object method "new" via package "FileHandle" (perhaps you forgot to load "FileHandle"?) at /home/fratgu37/cgi-bin/admin/Plugins/EmailChecker.pm line 109.

Please enable debugging in setup for more details.

Stack Trace
======================================
Links (914): Links::environment called at /home/fratgu37/cgi-bin/admin/Links.pm line 430 with no arguments.
Links (914): Links::fatal called at /home/fratgu37/cgi-bin/admin/Plugins/EmailChecker.pm line 109 with arguments
(Can't locate object method "new" via package "FileHandle" (perhaps you forgot to load "FileHandle"?) at /home/fratgu37/cgi-bin/admin/Plugins/EmailChecker.pm line 109.
).
Links (914): Plugins::EmailChecker::goodemail called at /home/fratgu37/cgi-bin/admin/Plugins/EmailChecker.pm line 58 with arguments
(admin@xclaim.org, signup).
Links (914): Plugins::EmailChecker::EmailChecker1 called at /home/fratgu37/cgi-bin/admin/GT/Plugins.pm line 97 with no arguments.
Links (914): GT::Plugins::dispatch called at /home/fratgu37/cgi-bin/admin/Links/User/Login.pm line 27 with arguments
(GT::Plugins, /home/fratgu37/cgi-bin/admin/Plugins, user_signup, CODE(0x8273b6c)).
Links (914): Links::User::Login::handle called at /home/fratgu37/cgi-bin/admin/GT/Plugins.pm line 108 with no arguments.
Links (914): GT::Plugins::dispatch called at /home/fratgu37/cgi-bin/user.cgi line 25 with arguments
(GT::Plugins, /home/fratgu37/cgi-bin/admin/Plugins, handle_login, CODE(0x8255584)).

System Information
Perl Version: 5.008
Links SQL Version: 2.1.1
DBI.pm Version: 1.30
Persistant Env: mod_perl (0) SpeedyCGI (0)
@INC =
/home/fratgu37/cgi-bin/admin
/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i686-linux
/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.0
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i686-linux
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl

CGI INPUT
Email => admin@xclaim.org
Password => thomason
Username => thomason
signup_user => Signup

CGI Cookies
gforum_1022870964_remember => 0064cc5dc7ea51c43ee24ef91c7ce5f8

ENVIRONMENT
CONTENT_LENGTH => 77
CONTENT_TYPE => application/x-www-form-urlencoded
DOCUMENT_ROOT => /home/fratgu37
GATEWAY_INTERFACE => CGI/1.1
GT_TMPDIR => /home/fratgu37/cgi-bin/admin/tmp
HTTP_ACCEPT => image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg, application/vnd.ms-excel, application/vnd.ms-powerpoint, application/msword, */*
HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING => gzip, deflate
HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE => en-us
HTTP_CACHE_CONTROL => no-cache
HTTP_CONNECTION => Keep-Alive
HTTP_COOKIE => gforum_1022870964_remember=0064cc5dc7ea51c43ee24ef91c7ce5f8; gforum_1022870964_remember=0064cc5dc7ea51c43ee24ef91c7ce5f8
HTTP_HOST => www.wherethefuck.com
HTTP_REFERER => http://www.wherethefuck.com/...er.cgi?signup_form=1
HTTP_USER_AGENT => Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.0.3705)
PATH => /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/root/bin:/usr/local/frontpage/version5.0/bin:.
QUERY_STRING =>
REMOTE_ADDR => 209.145.174.22
REMOTE_PORT => 2989
REQUEST_METHOD => POST
REQUEST_URI => /cgi-bin/user.cgi
SCRIPT_FILENAME => /home/fratgu37/cgi-bin/user.cgi
SCRIPT_NAME => /cgi-bin/user.cgi
SERVER_ADDR => 66.240.147.84
SERVER_ADMIN => admin@wherethefuck.com
SERVER_NAME => www.wherethefuck.com
SERVER_PORT => 80
SERVER_PROTOCOL => HTTP/1.1
SERVER_SIGNATURE => Apache/1.3.26 Server at www.wherethefuck.com Port 80

SERVER_SOFTWARE => Apache/1.3.26 (Unix) FrontPage/5.0.2.2510 mod_perl/1.27

Last edited by:

Demolitioncrew: Sep 16, 2002, 8:01 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Demolitioncrew] Fatal error when trying to create account In reply to
Hi,

This is a problem in the EmailChecker plugin. You can uninstall it until an update is made (I believe the author is Andy), may want to send him a PM.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Fatal error when trying to create account In reply to
I have similar problems with emailchecker. Why is it still listed in the Plugin Download page if it does not work properly. I get the following error after installing and when I test it via the subscribe to newletter menu:

A fatal error has occured:
Can't locate object method "new" via package "FileHandle" at /www/mydomain.com/cgi-bin/directory/admin/Plugins/EmailChecker.pm line 109.

Thanks...

Quote Reply
Re: [demon] Fatal error when trying to create account In reply to
Open up EmailChecker.pm and at the top under:

use GT::Base;

...add:

use FileHandle;

That will fix your error. Beware that the plugin has several other issues such as not supporting .info domains or any other with 4 letters at the end or .co.uk, .org.uk and other domains with two part TLD's
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Fatal error when trying to create account In reply to
Thank you for the information, very good to know!

And in that case, I won't use it if it does not support does kind of domains!