Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

lsql table structure

Quote Reply
lsql table structure
Hello,

I have been wondering why I can not display things in columns that are in the same table as other things that do display when called in a template.

Example: I can't display the image field in the category table, but I can display everything else. Even other custom columns that I added. I do not understand why some columns display and other do not. Is there anything a non perl programmer like myself can do to get around this?

Edit: I have noticed that I have things that look like duplicate table. I have for example a table called "category" that has all the "default" columns and I have a table called "lsql_category" that has the same columns plus all the extra I added.

Is there a reason to have two tables that are so similar?

Last edited by:

nt6: Aug 26, 2002, 7:08 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [nt6] lsql table structure In reply to
Check your prefix in your admin->setup->database area.

The lsql_ is a prefix, that allows tables in Links to be grouped, and not collide with other tables from other programs.

Also, image/file fields need to be called in a different way than regular fields. They store a partial pointer to an entry in the files table.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] lsql table structure In reply to
Thank you Pugdog, but I know all that. I did not get any answers.

Is it normal to have two "links" tables? One that is the "standard out of the box", and another that is the same as the standard one plus it has all the customs fields I added?

If I have an extra table in my database, may bee that's why I can not get the whole content of the links table to display. May bee the script is only looking in the "default" links table? Crazy

Thank you for your time.
Quote Reply
That's odd.

If you have both lsql_Category, Category, lsql_Links, Links.. what may of happened was an old installation that was never removed. Sometimes, it happens if you moved from servers or if along the way, a fresh upgrade-install was done irrespective of your old Links.
Quote Reply
Re: [Aki] lsql table structure In reply to
I think that is quite likely what happened. I do not feel safe deleting tables but I guess I have to do it. I will back up everything first.

So the script might move stop working with "category" and start working with "lsql_category" now? That would be a good explanation to why certain fields just would not display, if the script is looking in the wrong table...
Quote Reply
If anything the tables were left behind as a backup;just in case something went wrong with the upgrade. It should be safe to "drop" the tables as they probably aren't being used. (assuming you don't have another older version of Links running at the same time) Backing them up will be helpful, but if the data is old, you'll probably never need it again.
Quote Reply
Go back to my previous message that you said you understood :)

If your prefix is set to lsql_ then the tables you are using are all lsql_ prefixed tables. If you have no prefix set, you are using the tables without the lsql_

Deleting tables will *not* change this. It will only stop the system from working if you delete the tables that have the prefix (or not) that the system is trying to use.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] lsql table structure In reply to
Thank you Pugdog. I just deleted all non lsql_ prefix tables and you are absolutely right. The duplicate tables are gone but I still can not display all the information in the same table with my global. I guess it needs some tweaking.