Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

changing URL path

Quote Reply
changing URL path
I have a site www.mysite.com whose server doesn't support php. I want to install LinkSQL on my site to replace a current system which is based on ASP.
I was told I can setup a subdomain that will support php and on which I will be able to install LinkSQL. But I want the system to sit on www.mysite.com. I want to switch systems but not to work with a subdomain.
Is there a way to install LinkSQL on a subdomain (or any other option) in a way that the path of the URL will not look like a subdomain?
My problem is that my server company can't support ASP and php in simultaneously, and I don't want to loose my page site index in the search engines during the system switch.
Quote Reply
Re: [nir] changing URL path In reply to
What about a new host, keep the old one running while you setup the new system on the new server.

When your happy with the new site just change the DNS over from the old to the new.

Regards

minesite
Quote Reply
Re: [minesite] changing URL path In reply to
In Reply To:
What about a new host, keep the old one running while you setup the new system on the new server.

When your happy with the new site just change the DNS over from the old to the new.

Ditto. Sounds like your current host is more hassle than they are worth Unsure

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [minesite] changing URL path In reply to
I am aware of the possibility of changing a host, but the thing is that I have a large site that is indexed in search engines and I don't want to delete all the history.
I will be able to change host only after the LinkSQL is fully indexed.
Quote Reply
Re: [nir] changing URL path In reply to
Mod_Rewrite may be your answer.

Is there a way to install LinkSQL on a subdomain (or any other option) in a way that the path of the URL will not look like a subdomain?

My understanding in regard to losing status with the search engines, is that all will be the same.

When you finally change over you keep the URL.
i.e. http://www.yoursite.com

The search engines won't know the difference.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Regards

minesite

Last edited by:

minesite: Sep 8, 2004, 1:01 AM