Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Recommend_it Plugin won't install --

Quote Reply
Recommend_it Plugin won't install --
Hi.

Surprisingly can't install Recommend_it plugin (as against few other plugins which could be installed without any problems). Following is what i get while trying to install:

Unable to install plugin: 'Unable to extract file: '/path/to/links/admin/../recommend_it.cgi' (Could not open '/path/to/links/admin/../recommend_it.cgi. Reason: (Permission denied))'

No such error on other plugins.

Any Help?

TIA
Anup
Quote Reply
Re: [anup123] Recommend_it Plugin won't install -- In reply to
Hi,
There is a problem in the install.
I just downloaded and installed it. Works just fine.

In case you changed the /path/to/links/admin and that is not what the program is actually printing out, you need to change your permissions to allow the program to extract the .cgi file to the /user/scripts directory.

If that is the exact error message that was printed out, I *really* want to see your admin area, since the reason for the ../script.name is that the only parameter Links stores is the the 'admin_path', and the program assumes that your user scripts are one level up from the admin_path.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Hi. Which version are you using? v3 should work ok;

http://www.ultranerds.com/cgi-bin/details/85.html

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Recommend_it Plugin won't install -- In reply to
Hi Andy.

I just tried with version from ultranerds site. OK i could install this after changing the permissions on the directory containing the scripts. Oh this SuExec hammers the head like anything.

Just a qstn Andy. Though i do not understand anything of coding, but would following recommend_it extension sort of be possible?

recommend_it pulls <%ID%> and as per what i had seen in PUGDOG recommend_it, it uses GT::Mail to send mail. Now can the <%Contact_Email%> of <%ID%> be the address that the mail is being sent to with the contents and SUbject, so that email address is nowhere visible to the site visitor and yet he can contact the link owner.

Thanks Andy And PUGDOG once more

Anup

Last edited by:

anup123: Apr 19, 2004, 10:41 PM
Quote Reply
Thats odd, the chmod() functions in the Install script should have accomidated for folder permissions :(

Quote:
recommend_it pulls <%ID%> and as per what i had seen in PUGDOG recommend_it, it uses GT::Mail to send mail. Now can the <%Contact_Email%> of <%ID%> be the address that the mail is being sent to with the contents and SUbject, so that email address is nowhere visible to the site visitor and yet he can contact the link owner.

I'm not quite sure what you mean? The templates all prefix with recommend_it_, so that you know which ones do what :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Hi Andy.

No prblems with V3.X and it's excellent.
Onto what i was not able to express clearly:

Say recommed_it become contact_it with contact_it.cgi (a part of contact_it plugin)

contact_it.cgi :

For Contacting Link Owner Through A Form (which is the best that can be done by me :) )

The Mail goes to link owner (I presume GT::Mail is being used in recommend_it) where to the site visitor only the <%ID%> is visible but, while mail is being sent the <%Contact_Email%> is pulled internally on the basis of <%ID%> while processing the form. The form is navigable thru a link placed on link.html/detailed.html as necessary.

So a modification to recommend_it plugin to form contact_it plugin where the contact form would just have:

From Name :
From Email :
Subject :
Text :

Recommend_it sends mail to others ... Contact_it send mail to Link Owner. The To: of the mail is pulled from DB on basis of <%ID> without <%Contact_Email%> being visible to visitor at any stage while the form is being processed.

I can't do anything except for create the forms and success page etc.

I hope i could express the same clearly. Recommend_it is fine and all working. :)

TIA
Anup
Quote Reply
Glad to hear you have Recommend_It working :)

I'm still confused a bit as to your other part. Maybe its still too early in the morning Frown

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hi Andy.

Good Morning :)

I repeat again in a different way ... wrt Recommend_It plugin modified to Contact_It plugin.

Recommend_It: Mails to Recepients the <%ID%> <%Description%> and other tags with recipient and sender details taken from the Form input and uses GT::Mail for mail processing (Hope i am correct thus far).

Contact_It : To Send Mail to <%Contact_Email%> which is not visible to any visitor anywhere in the form or site as visble link or hidden field.

The Contact Form Has Following (And i can do the contact form part)
From Name : Entered By Visitor Contacting The Link Owner
From Email : Entered By Visitor Contacting The Link Owner
Subject : Entered By Visitor Contacting The Link Owner
Text : Entered By Visitor Contacting The Link Owner

And the form above is accessible thru a link in link.html like:

<a href="<%db_cgi_url%>/contact_it.cgi?ID=<%ID%>">Recommend This!</a>

While processing the form, contact_it.cgi gets the <%Contact_Email%> for the <%ID%> and makes it the

To: (ie the recepient)
of the email so that the <%Contact_Email%> links on templates can be replaced with a contact link as above and the email address of the link owner is never visible to anyone, yet the Link Owner can be contacted.

So in short, a modification to the Recommend_It plugin for contacting the Link Owner without the <%Contact_Email%> being visible anywhere to the site visitor. Just as i said, i cannot do anything except for the templates.

Smile
Thanks
Anup
Quote Reply
I think I see what you are saying. Have you tried using contact.cgi?ID=1234 with my ContactPage plugin? That lets your visitors send an email to a link owner, without showing Contact_Email.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hi Andy.

Yes that's precisely what is needed. No <%Contact_Email%> being visible either directly oir as a hidden field anywhere.

Where can i see a working demo of the ContactPage Plugin where email could be sent to Link Owner (and not only site owner).

I would be interested in that definitely....

Thanks
Anup
Quote Reply
Hi. You can find details on this plugin here;

http://www.ultranerds.com/cgi-bin/details/7.html

I'm afraid we don't have a demo online at the moment, but here is a site using it;

http://www.chois-choice.com/...ntact.cgi?ID=2002421 (its a live site, so please be considerate when checking it out Smile).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hi Andy.

No probs. I wouldn't do a test on a live site as i am sure that you would see that it works the way i intended it to which i am happy i was successful (at last) in putting it down. I am going for it. Just sending you a PM :)

Thanks.
Anup
Quote Reply
Ok, cool :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hi Andy.

Back to Recommend_It (V3.X) plugin.

(1). Does this plugin avoid duplicate recommending? In case no, then it could be a desired thing otherwise, if recommend_it is operating without authentication (users not required to login), then some playfull visitor could just start sort of spamming.

[EDIT] Also in case of

<%if Username%>
The user should not have the possibility of changing the Name and Email Address and it should be taken from the database
<%else%>
As At Present
<%endif%>

[/EDIT]

(2). Is it possible to show the "Number Of Recommendations" on the Public pages for a given link?

Thanks
Anup

Last edited by:

anup123: Apr 20, 2004, 3:38 AM
Quote Reply
Hi
I read the thread...
I am the owner of www.chois-choice.com
Both scripts installed quite easily without any further assist from Ultranerds. Sometimes this is not always the case but in this case was without help.

If you wish to test out any aspect of these plugins on my site please feel free to do so - just in the message you send let me know who you are and the purpose so I wont get stressed..

Happy to assist in any way possible.
Quote Reply
Hi.

1) Unfortunatly not. Thats why I put in the username tracking stuff :) Its not recommended to turn the "user required" option off, otherwise, like you say, it could become victim to hackers/spammers.

2) Sure, just use <%Recommend_Count%>

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: [Gypsypup] Recommend_it Plugin won't install -- In reply to
Hi.

Thanks a great deal for your permission.
Normally I avoid doing any testing on a "live site" on third party sites as i would be breaking my own rules :).

Thanks
Anup
Quote Reply
Hi Andy.

Using this Plugin, which sends messages without a Message-ID in Header.
This would mean that if filters for Mydoom Worm mails are put in (which basically would reject any mail with no Message ID) even all mails from ContactPage Plugin would be dumped and never reach the Link Owner. This is at least on Servers With Exim MTA, on a default cpanel server.

Any plans to upgrade this shortcoming? Because as of now, that filtering of Mydoom Worm mails have to be swithced off for ContactPage plugin to work.

Thanks
HyTC.

BTW: This Plugin was taken by anup123 who is no more active on forums.

Thanks
HyTC
==================================
Mail Me If Contacting Privately Is That Necessary.
==================================

Last edited by:

HyperTherm: Sep 28, 2004, 2:03 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [HyperTherm] Recommend_it Plugin won't install -- In reply to
I honestly don't think there is anything we can do ... at least, not until GT get the GT::Mail routine updated, so that it supports mail ID headers (AFAIK, it doesn't currently).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hmm OK.
I only hope that this is weeded out soon by GT as many would be on cpanel servers where Exim is default and sendmail binary cannot be used for mailings of LinksSQL, it breaks many mailing issues of LinksSQL.
As of now, it's just crippling.

Thanks
HyTC