Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Password Protected Directory and Building

Quote Reply
Password Protected Directory and Building
Hi

I would like to make some of my categories password protected. These will be set up for wholesale sales and government/military sales. The retail section will not be passworded.

Does anyone know whether having a category with .htaccess password protection messes up anything in the building process or any other access by the script?

Thank you very much.

------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [DogTags] Password Protected Directory and Building In reply to
Hi DT. As far as I know you can have .htpasswd and .htaccess files in a folder and it will not affect the script. Obviously you dont want to be be mixing the .htpasswd files with the L SQL admin folder, but anywhere else should be fine Tongue

Hope I'm not babling...lol Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
DogTags,

Why don't you just use the page.cgi dynamic script? You can add additional plugins for checking user permissions via the User table within the page.cgi for the category that you want to password protect via checking an additional column like PasswordProtect....

A lot easier than adding another utility on top of Links SQL to use .htpasswd.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
It shouldn't mess up the build process.

Your build is not done by the "webserver" but by perl, so .htaccess doesn't apply. UNIX permissions do.

You will get the browser authentication box if anyone tries to access a protected link, so you might want to make sure your access denied page is informative.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.