Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Links like spaces.msn.com

Quote Reply
Links like spaces.msn.com
Has anyone turned links into a project like spaces.msn.com?

It's more than a blog, or personal space, it's a sort of framework in which to construct a personal space.

Several other sites out there have done similar (more complex) but are using custom software, developed mostly from the ground up. BME - and their IAM site, is one of the more complex and longer running examples. It's probably 4-5 years old in it's current incarnation.

I've had something like this in the back of my mind for awhile, and it seems to really be the wave of the future on-line. People will forego "home pages" instead setting up these mini bio's on sites in which they participate.

It's more than a "blog space" or a replacement for a personal home page. It's a "widget" into another site, like a tech forum, games forum, etc, where people can express themselves in a more detailed way than within the confines of the main content areas.

If anyone is doing this with links, I'd really like to see it.

With the next evolution of links, into using the new template structure, creating xml type widgets and creating a "portal" type interface for people to construct their own home pages. Do you remember the old netscape-style portal pages?

The ability to have a (usually) three column layout, with a left and right side-bar, and a central main content area, seems to be the favorite layout style. What is put in those areas varies a bit. Usually the left side is the navigation area, while the right is specific additional content or advertising. Some layouts are pretty complex, and quite cool, but distill to that basic format.

There is going to be a lot of new stuff coming out with the next few versions of Links. As links evolves, so will the tools we have to deal with it. The changes will most likely be as big or bigger than from 1.x to 2.x.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Links like spaces.msn.com In reply to
For some further ideas, take a look at Drupal, which would let you replicate much of what Spaces does.

OK, it's nowhere near as flexible as Links SQL for us non-programmers in terms of extending the core platform. It does have a nice "module," i.e. plugin, architecture, but as a non-programmer, oh, how I miss the ability to just add a field to the database, then include some Links SQL code to my templates to do something cool. But once you have it running, and with the right modules, it's pretty impressive what sort of community stuff you can do with it. There might be ideas there for extending Links SQL (or Links SQL/Gossamer Forum/Community).

Last edited by:

agaffin: Feb 17, 2005, 9:27 AM