Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Information from multiple databases on one page

Quote Reply
Information from multiple databases on one page
Basicly, would like to be able to perform some forum functions from Glinks supplied pages and also the other way around...

An example of this would be someone posting an article, is this software able to open up both the Links database for the posting of the article, and the Gforum database to start a discussion which would then be linked to that article? In the forum, if someone clicked on the thread for the article, I would like to be able to retrieve the article from the Links DB and display it with that specific thread... I realize that this is not already a function in the software, and that I'm going to have to do alot of scripting to make it happen, and I already have good ideas on how to do this... My only question is going to be how hard will it be to have a single page pulling information from two different databases while keeping them split if something is to be changed in that database.

I have not yet purchased my copy of Links, but if I get links it is going to be because I would like to integrate the two pretty heavily throughout the site.. If there is some reason that I would not be able to swing this, I may look for cheaper methods to get site articles etc if they wont integrate to the level that I want them to Wink

Also, not understanding alot of the limitations of a license, is it going to be feasible to run an article database as well as an Event Calander w/ Links or is this going to be hard to do without multiple licenses?

------

There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.
Quote Reply
Re: [Nate_1979] Information from multiple databases on one page In reply to
True article publishing with monthwise/datewise archiving, commenting on article, automatic RSS feeds etc aren't available out of the box on glinks. We have a project at hand quite similar to your specs but with more add on's like hosted blogs for each forum user, restaurant reviews, events calendar, business directory with images, documents attachments, classifieds, online article publishing with content syndication , archiving, rss, related articles build up, article feedback, article commenting etc, image gallery for each forum user with ecards features , images commenting, rating, slideshow etc. They are based on a lot of commercial php scripts which i can't name them here due to forum rules, with customization being tht except for article management section (it's online magazine) everything else is going to be under unified login. In our evaluation we foud glinks/gforum combo not possible to meet the requirements ... that's entirely our personal assessment though.

Thanks
HyTC
==================================
Mail Me If Contacting Privately Is That Necessary.
==================================

Last edited by:

HyperTherm: Apr 8, 2006, 7:46 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Nate_1979] Information from multiple databases on one page In reply to
In Reply To:
My only question is going to be how hard will it be to have a single page pulling information from two different databases while keeping them split if something is to be changed in that database.
You can use GForum code in GLinks via normal Perl requires/etc. So you'll be able to call whatever's needed to add a forum posting from GLinks.

In Reply To:
Also, not understanding alot of the limitations of a license, is it going to be feasible to run an article database as well as an Event Calander w/ Links or is this going to be hard to do without multiple licenses?
It really depends on how you want to lay things out. You could always use one installation and create a category for the event calendar and another for your normal links.

Adrian