Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

How to change the commonly used URL column to Description?

Quote Reply
Currently the URL column is displayed everywhere, and it's assumed as the main column.
Just for example in the Category Browser only links are displayed.
How to change to have the Description listed in the admin Category browser?
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] How to change the commonly used URL column to Description? In reply to
Hi,

Edit templates/admin/browser_link_list.html and change <%URL%> to <%Description%>.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] How to change the commonly used URL column to Description? In reply to
I think would be fine to make this configurable from the admin interface.
Well, using URL as main field, is only useful for link directories, but for faq, news, classified ad, etc directories is not useful. That's why I suggest to make a configurable Main field instead of URL.

This way the user could easily configure the used main field, without the need to go and browse templates & forums for idea how to use other main field.

I thought I could do a mod for this, but if you aggree to implement this idea, I will wait for your implementation.

So <%URL%> could be changed to <%MainField%>, and the value of $MainField should be get from the column (field) we specified in the config, e.g: URL or Description.
Of course there may be some other places where the URL is used as hardcoded info, so there should be also changed to be config based (for example in the Duplicate check feature).

Waiting your opinion.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...