Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

How to I create a vertical single coumn of my top level category list

Quote Reply
How to I create a vertical single coumn of my top level category list
How do I create a vertical single coumn of my top level category list for putting on my home page (the categories need to have a hyperlink to their respective pages on my Links SQL site) - and here's the bit I can't work out - how do you reduce the vertical space between each category. I want this

Category 1
Category 2
Category 3
etc...

NOT

Category 1

Category 2

Category 3

etc...

I have checked all over the forum and even though the question has been asked - the answers are either out of date due to coding changes as far as I can see - or they are not at all as clear as they should have been to a layman like me ;-)

Thanks everyone for reading

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: [cuppa] How to I create a vertical single coumn of my top level category list In reply to
Can you explain how you're currently getting the list so we can see what the problem might be?
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] How to I create a vertical single coumn of my top level category list In reply to
Thanks! I did it via Lins SQL Admin > Set-Up > Build Options and selected Number of columns your subcategory list will be divided into. build_category_columns I changed it from 2 to 1.

You can see it on my development page

http://www.the3gportal.com/3gmycountry/index.html

(Though it may be changed or fixed when you have a look as I am working on options atm)

That's all I did. I think either my ccs stylesheet may be the problem or the LINKs one - do you know the path to this so I can check it out?

Thanks
Steve

Quote Reply
Re: [cuppa] How to I create a vertical single coumn of my top level category list In reply to
Hi,

Try putting <dl> .. </dl> around the subcategory tag and then just have <dt>...</dt> around the categories.

The css is probably set in your globals.

Laura.
The UK High Street
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] How to I create a vertical single coumn of my top level category list In reply to
hi Laura

That did it! Thanks.

BTW - I greatly admire your site. If my new site can be half as good as yours - then I will ecstatic ;-)

The concept of it is similar in that it's going to be a venue for consumers (from around the world) interested in buying 3G phone services plus all the other interactive/information sharing features typical of your site. It harnesses everything I've been doing for 4 years with a 3G industry focused site of mine - www.the3gportal.com

May I ask you via email (off the forum) some questions later about how you did certain things?

Thanks again
Steve