Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Email addresses

Quote Reply
Email addresses
I have a business directory built into my site using v. 2.1.1 where users can add info like their address, phone numbers, and email address. Here is my question: I would like to hide the email address and make it so if users wanted to email someone listed on my site, it would run internally so viewers would never actually see the email address. I don't want email spiders grabbing addresses from my site.

If you need to see my directory go here:
http://www.AssistantDirectors.com/...ompanies/index.shtml

Thanks in advance!
Lennie
Quote Reply
Re: [lennie] Email addresses In reply to
I have done this on my site using the Users database. Is yours the Users, Links or a custom database?
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] Email addresses In reply to
I'm not sure what you mean. I use the links database, I just added columns and force the directory listings on some pages and regular links on others. . .

Lennie
Quote Reply
What you could do there is when you see an email link it induces a pop-up with a form to email the user and then the recipient receives an email with something like: "Another lead from ABC website" and then the visitors information.

We have something like this on our site for requesting discounts:

http://www.constructionclub.com/...=Detailed%2F129.html

You can try it out, this is our discount link so I'll just disregard when I get it. I know you asked for assistance, so if this is what you are looking for, Andy made this for us.

Also there are other little scripts that actually change the characters so robots can't read them, but you can still email ok.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: [SSmeredith] Email addresses In reply to
I am looking for this functionality. Do you mind sharing the code?
Quote Reply
Wow!! That is exactly what I am looking for. Do you run the links area via PHP? And if so, could I still use with static pages? Thanks in advance,

Lennie
Quote Reply
It was written in php - I was told it would only work in dynamic but I tried it in static and it seems to work there too. It's not a plug-in so I'll have to find the code, not sure what exactly was done and I'll post it if I can...
Quote Reply
Thank you very much!!

Lennie
Quote Reply
I sort of figured out how to do this. I am using a phpscript to send the form which is included on a page created using the pagebuilder plugin. This is my problem. I am using http://www.mydomain.com/page.cgi?page=email&<%ID%>. Then when the page pops up from the javascript. The page which is page=email is unable to read my tags. Like <%title%> or the <%email%> of the link owners email. Any ideas

So does anyone know how to pass link attributes to a page after after clicking a category page? If so, what tags are availble. I tried to do a dump, but I could not get a tag that I needed.