Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Contacting Users

Quote Reply
Contacting Users
Hi,

This is a kind of thinking out loud message.

I don't want to display users' email addresses on my site, as I really think that increases spam, but I would like users to be able to contact each other. I think that the best thing would be the private messaging system as on the forum but that is too complicated for me to think about doing.

I am using the UserMonitor plugin. What I am thinking about is having a field in the profile for whether the user accepts email from other users and if so, displaying a form to send a message so that the email address is never shown. I think I would make it so that you had to be logged in to send the email and then the username of the person sending it could be shown to the receiver so that if there were any problems I would know who was involved.

Also I thought that I could have a 'contact me' code in the review so that if reviewers wanted people to be able to contact them directly from their review it could automatically add a link to the email form.

Does this seem the most sensible way forward? Is there a mod that I don't know about which does something similar? How difficult would it be to get the private messaging system working in Links?

Laura.
The UK High Street
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] Contacting Users In reply to
 Hello,

I have a script called 'usermail.cgi' in use.
the send email link on ridesworld.com uses this script with the following parameters:

usermail.cgi?userid=admin

the content of the mail will be send to the user you give & the results of the mail will be logged in the database.

i can set to send email only to registered users.

B.T.W. this is not a plugin

Last edited by:

ridesworld: Dec 1, 2002, 12:16 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [ridesworld] Contacting Users In reply to
Thanks for replying. That's the way I've decided to go.

Laura.
The UK High Street
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] Contacting Users In reply to
Hello

let me know if you wish to receive my script, and I will mail it to you.

Last edited by:

ridesworld: Dec 3, 2002, 12:47 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [ridesworld] Contacting Users In reply to
Thanks - I actually found an old message of yours on the forum and modified the script in that Cool

Now that I've got it working how I want, I've started to think that writing a plugin for a private messaging system might not be as difficult as I thought. I'll give it a try anyway.

Laura.
The UK High Street