Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Bulk Upload of Links and Categories - What things to adjust ??

Quote Reply
Bulk Upload of Links and Categories - What things to adjust ??
Hi All

I'll be adding about 5000 links and about 200 categories using mysqlman.

What I need to find out is what other tables or other things must I adjust to make sure that LinksSQL works properly.

For example, it looks like CatLinks serves to relate the category to the links. So, I'd have to adjust CatLinks. What about any files within /admin ?

The basic idea is to upload links and cats in bulk. I can't add them one at a time because of time.

Thanks very much. Smile

------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [DogTags] Bulk Upload of Links and Categories - What things to adjust ?? In reply to
Yes, the catlinks identifies each link with an associated category.

Are you uploading the links seperately to the categories?

You will have to make an entry for every link you upload into catlinks against some category.

I would suggest maybe creating a new temporary category, and using sql, assign all of your newly imported links to this category in catlinks. You would have to make note of the newly assinged link ID's, so that this range can be applied when assigning the links to the temporary category.

Alternatively, why not put the links and categories into files which Links will recognise for an import?

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] Bulk Upload of Links and Categories - What things to adjust ?? In reply to
Thanks, Ian. That's what I thought. I might just create two files, one for categories and the other for links plus the two catlink columns. Time for some experimentation... Cool

Thanks, again, Ian Smile

Quote Reply
Re: [DogTags] Bulk Upload of Links and Categories - What things to adjust ?? In reply to
ACtually, DogTags, you will need to create another table called CatLinks - it is not a "column", but an intersection table that contains FK relationship to the Category and Links tables.

It would be more involved to do bulk load data from off-line sources, then may be using the RDF DMOZ DUMP method, which automatically puts the links and categories relationships into the CatLinks table.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] Bulk Upload of Links and Categories - What things to adjust ?? In reply to
Hmmmm...RDF DMOZ DUMP method. I wasn't aware that there was such a method.

I know about the DMOZ Dumps of course, but I'll search around for what you've mentioned. That sounds very interesting.

And, yes, the third CatLinks table - definitely. The only reason that I thought about working with it sort of attached to the Links table is that it would help me keep track of which link goes where. Then, once I have the db built or modified, I would just break off the two CatLink cols and make a CatLinks table with them.

I appreciate your help, Stealth Smile