Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Adding Link & User Info on the Same Admin Page

Quote Reply
Adding Link & User Info on the Same Admin Page
Is there any consideration, in an upcoming version, to allow you to add the User and Link information of a new link to be added on the same page in the Admin area? It takes more time to have to go to Add a User and then have to Add a Link (two seperate steps).

Is there a modification out there that this can be done with v. 2.0.3?

Thanks in advance.

Mark G.
OhioBiz

Quote Reply
Re: Adding Link & User Info on the Same Admin Page In reply to
Hi,

In your admin, go to Setup -> User Options

Turn OFF "user_required" (and possibly "user_validation")

This should create a user whenever a link is added by someone who is not a user already. (Contact Email is used as username)

Will that work for you?

--

Matt Glaspie
Quote Reply
Matt,

I checked those settings and they were set to "No" already. When I try to add a new link in Admin via Browse without adding a User first, I get an error message of: "Unable to add link: + Column LinkOwner breaks foreign key relation with the links2Users table."

If I go thru the Database->Links, Add route instead and try to add the link before registering a User for the link, I get the same error message: "Column LinkOwner breaks foreign key relation with the links2Users table."

I was using the the link's contact email address as the Linkowner.

Any thoughts...

Mark G.
OhioBiz

Quote Reply
Mark, sorry about that. The solution I gave will work if you add a link from the normal add a resource form... i.e. the one your regular visitors will see, and not from the admin add link forms.

That said, you *could* add your links from the regular non-admin form, but you of course don't have all the options available to you, and you'll have to validate them as normal unless you have that option turned off too (Settings -> Build Options -> build_auto_validate). If you go this route, the contact email will drop into the username field in the Users table and into LinkOwner in the Links table when someone submits the form if the email address is not already registered as a User's username.

Or, you can just submit all your admin links using a single user... I believe the default username is 'admin'... will that not work for you for some reason?

Beyond that, you're looking at modifying one or more scripts that run the admin link-add bit. I'm new at LinksSQL too so unfortunately I can't tell you exactly what would need to be changed or where...

Matt Glaspie